i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
On most computers that have been upgraded to Windows 10 I see that disk usage is often hovering around 90-100 %. So I looked for a solution online and found that disabling Superfetch and Prefetch (if you have 10 on an SSD) make a difference in how smoothly and quickly your Win 10 system runs. If you have a slow 5400 RPM HDD it's best to leave Superfetch and Prefetch turned on. Doing this made my Win10 install run much more smoothly. Give it a try. You can also do this on Windows 7 and 8.1 installs to an SSD. Windows is supposed to do this automatically but I always check it anyway. These two features are not needed with fast Sata 3 solid state drives.

1. Go to Services.msc and set Superfetch to disabled.

Capture.JPG

2. Edit the registry. Disable Prefetch

TRS 2016-07-17 at 7.33.14 AM.jpg

TRS 2016-07-17 at 7.35.11 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Windows 10 is dreadful anyway. Horrible operating system just like Windows 8.1 I went back to Windows 7. 10 isn't worth it. But I recommend having a SSD as a boot drive.

Windows 10 is dreadful anyway. Horrible operating system just like Windows 8.1 I went back to Windows 7. 10 isn't worth it. But I recommend having a SSD as a boot drive.

Yes, 10 has some major downsides. Many people want it though so I have to support them. I'm still using Win 7 Pro for my personal Windows rig. Like it much better. By Jan. 2020 MS will drop all support for 7 so then an upgrade will be mandatory if you will be doing anything on the internet that requires security. Don't think they will extend support this time like they did for XP which had about a 13 year run !

Yes, 10 has some major downsides. Many people want it though so I have to support them. I'm still using Win 7 Pro for my personal Windows rig. Like it much better. By Jan. 2020 MS will drop all support for 7 so then an upgrade will be mandatory if you will be doing anything on the internet that requires security. Don't think they will extend support this time like they did for XP which had about a 13 year run !

Ahh XP was a very good OS I was using media center edition way after Microsoft stopped the support. I will have to look for alternatives when Windows stops the support for Win7 I don't get why Microsoft took MCE from Win10 tho. I may upgrade to 8.1 when Microsoft stops the support for Win7. I've had issues with the Activation in Windows 10 where it deactivates after so many months it's a common problem from what I've been reading.

I do not understand why people bad-mouth Win10 so much. The GUI interface went back to the Win7 desktop - a MAJOR improvement over Win8 and 8.1.
Yes, it has some issues with the default settings and your privacy if you value that, but you can disable the more onerous ones.
As an excuse to hate Win10 it is a poor one as most people have a mobile phone that is much worse as an invasion of privacy and they think nothing of it.
Don't like Cortana? They you must hate Siri, also.

You might as well get used to it because the same "privacy invasions" are now in all operating systems in mainstream retail use.

I do not understand why people bad-mouth Win10 so much. The GUI interface went back to the Win7 desktop - a MAJOR improvement over Win8 and 8.1.
Yes, it has some issues with the default settings and your privacy if you value that, but you can disable the more onerous ones.
As an excuse to hate Win10 it is a poor one as most people have a mobile phone that is much worse as an invasion of privacy and they think nothing of it.
Don't like Cortana? They you must hate Siri, also.

You might as well get used to it because the same "privacy invasions" are now in all operating systems in mainstream retail use.

I just prefer windows 7. I don't like the tabs in windows 10 neither I'm a fussy person lol.

I just prefer windows 7. I don't like the tabs in windows 10 neither I'm a fussy person lol.
I do not particularly like some of the interface with Win10 either, but it is no worse than learning Win7 after years of WinXP. I really hated Win7 there for a while - I wanted XP back. I got used to Win7 and even got to like it better than WinXP. I tried 8 and 8.1 and hated that Metro interface so much I wiped it off of the PC after only a couple of days and went back to 7.

I do not particularly like some of the interface with Win10 either, but it is no worse than learning Win7 after years of WinXP. I really hated Win7 there for a while - I wanted XP back. I got used to Win7 and even got to like it better than WinXP. I tried 8 and 8.1 and hated that Metro interface so much I wiped it off of the PC after only a couple of days and went back to 7.

Windows 8 and 8.1 is worst than Windows 10. Id rather use Windows 10 than windows 8.1. But then again people have different preferences.

I do like the scaling down of the Start (metro) Menu in 10. Makes it more desktop friendly.

Back on topic. Have you tried disabling Superfetch / Prefetch per the directions in post #1 ?
Noticed any less hang time or disk usage ? It should be done automatically for SSDs, which
Win 10 does detect. Unfortunately we still have to do this manually for now.

I do like the scaling down of the Start (metro) Menu in 10. Makes it more desktop friendly.

Back on topic. Have you tried disabling Superfetch / Prefetch per the directions in post #1 ?
Noticed any less hang time or disk usage ? It should be done automatically for SSDs, which
Win 10 does detect. Unfortunately we still have to do this manually for now.

I haven't tried it. Then again i use a SSD on all my machines. Ive got Windows 10 on my Probook on the SSD i don't use spinning drives i may give it ago tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back