1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
:):):) Hello there.

I am a lurker and have learned so much from this site. :p
It has come to the point where my MacPro 1,1 finally died. I still have the MacBook Pro 1,1 still functioning but extremely slow and cannot run my programs that I use daily.

I am looking to build my first Hackintosh and then follow with a second when finances permit.

I am essentially doing the CustoMac mATX -- only due to finances at the moment. Second Build will be a CustoMac Pro. I will be dual booting as I am also a gamer, but I do alot with Photoshop and graphic manipulation and deal with lots of images and photos.

I am looking to buy the following:

Mobo: GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (8x2)
HD: 120GB SSD for OS, will have one for Win 7
PSU: Corsair CS 550 Watt Modular
Case: BitProdigy M
Wifi: will add it later as its will not be needed from the start as I will be directly connected

I have a gaming mouse and keyboard.
Monitor is a 32" Cinema Screen
I have lots of HDs and was looking save my data and transfer them all to the new system when its built.

I have read: tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

I have done lots of reading on this site on installation and dual booting.

I intend to first load OSX and recoup my data and get back to work and then when able to put Win on its own SSD drive later.

I am concerned as my MacPro is dead, the graphics card just freezes and I cannot get to my Lion dmg. I saved it many moons ago as I have been looking forward to the day I could justify creating my Hackintosh. I think i have it on a flash drive but cannot recall.

Knowing that I have my original disk for Snow Leopard by using iboot and MultiBeast, i did read I could do that then once its installed then could then look at doing a reload and doing a vanilla install for maverick.

I will be watching videos on building as this is really new to me and I am willing to give it a shot. I could not help but notice there was no mention of fans to cool the system.

Should i having cool, what type and what type of fans are recommended for the case?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soul

:):):) Hello there.

I am a lurker and have learned so much from this site. :p
It has come to the point where my MacPro 1,1 finally died. I still have the MacBook Pro 1,1 still functioning but extremely slow and cannot run my programs that I use daily.

I am looking to build my first Hackintosh and then follow with a second when finances permit.

I am essentially doing the CustoMac mATX -- only due to finances at the moment. Second Build will be a CustoMac Pro. I will be dual booting as I am also a gamer, but I do alot with Photoshop and graphic manipulation and deal with lots of images and photos.

I am looking to buy the following:

Mobo: GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
Memory: 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (8x2)
HD: 120GB SSD for OS, will have one for Win 7
PSU: Corsair CS 550 Watt Modular
Case: BitProdigy M
Wifi: will add it later as its will not be needed from the start as I will be directly connected

I have a gaming mouse and keyboard.
Monitor is a 32" Cinema Screen
I have lots of HDs and was looking save my data and transfer them all to the new system when its built.

I have read: tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

I have done lots of reading on this site on installation and dual booting.

I intend to first load OSX and recoup my data and get back to work and then when able to put Win on its own SSD drive later.

I am concerned as my MacPro is dead, the graphics card just freezes and I cannot get to my Lion dmg. I saved it many moons ago as I have been looking forward to the day I could justify creating my Hackintosh. I think i have it on a flash drive but cannot recall.

Knowing that I have my original disk for Snow Leopard by using iboot and MultiBeast, i did read I could do that then once its installed then could then look at doing a reload and doing a vanilla install for maverick.

I will be watching videos on building as this is really new to me and I am willing to give it a shot. I could not help but notice there was no mention of fans to cool the system.

Should i having cool, what type and what type of fans are recommended for the case?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Soul

Using a GTX760 you might want to bump the PSU to 650W, otherwise parts look OK.

As far as case fans go, one in front drawing cool air in and one in back drawing hot air out is usually sufficient unless you have high ambient temps. Then you might want to add a second fan in front/on bottom drawing in and a second fan on top drawing out.
Quietest fans I have are Noctua. With their SSO bearings, they are also the longest lasting.

Using a GTX760 you might want to bump the PSU to 650W, otherwise parts look OK.

As far as case fans go, one in front drawing cool air in and one in back drawing hot air out is usually sufficient unless you have high ambient temps. Then you might want to add a second fan in front/on bottom drawing in and a second fan on top drawing out.
Quietest fans I have are Noctua. With their SSO bearings, they are also the longest lasting.

Thank You for your reply. I did take your suggestion and up the PSU and purchased more fans.

Since I dont have a cdrom, is it possible for me to use usb for iboot and do what this thread explains [Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Haswell Based PCs ] -- but from usb?

I did find my previous version of Lion but its on usb as well and my laptop cannot be upgraded to it so I am hoping it was the back up I created many moons ago.

Soul

Thank You for your reply. I did take your suggestion and up the PSU and purchased more fans.

Since I dont have a cdrom, is it possible for me to use usb for iboot and do what this thread explains [Install Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard on Haswell Based PCs ] -- but from usb?

I did find my previous version of Lion but its on usb as well and my laptop cannot be upgraded to it so I am hoping it was the back up I created many moons ago.

Soul
Installing SL with an external USB optical drive doesn't work - the drive needs to be internal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back