Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
My first attempt at a hackintosh. USB fails to boot/load. All I get is something like "boot0:a" followed by a couple symbols/unfamiliar characters. I purchased and built the OSX 10.7.3 Unibeast installer using a friends MacbookAIR and the online App store.

I've pulled extra ram out, set default bios settings, changed SATA to AHCI, found no fast/quick boot to change in my bios, set CD as first boot device. Using the USB2.0 ports on the backpanel.

Am thinking I'm missing something in the BIOS or the installer flash drive is corrupt, but can anyone please shed a little light? Thanks.

Asrock z68 Pro3-m bios 1.6
intel i72600k
HD3000 graphics
1x4GB ram

dersu said:
I've pulled extra ram out, set default bios settings, changed SATA to AHCI, found no fast/quick boot to change in my bios, set CD as first boot device. Using the USB2.0 ports on the backpanel.

Heydersu :)

Your first issue is that you need to set the USB as your boot device, not the CD. Make sure you select USB-HDD as the boot device.

Because you don't have a Gigabyte motherboard you might need to change different settings, but here's what basically should get finished. If this is all you have changed in BIOS then you are definitely missing something. Here's what needs to be done:

• Change HPET mode to x64
    Enable drive S.M.A.R.T. status

Hope this helps!

Mbar97 said:
Your first issue is that you need to set the USB as your boot device, not the CD. Make sure you select USB-HDD as the boot device.
Hi Miles, it is booting, or rather trying :) to boot from the USB. The boot device was set to USB-HDD at the time of POST via the bios' boot device selection, but I will set it to boot from USB-HDD in the bios and see if it makes a difference.
Change HPET mode to x64
I believe I already have this set to x64 support. In my bios I have set "HPET Table" to Enabled which I assume means x64 support.
Enable drive S.M.A.R.T. status
This is set to enabled already.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will double check my bios settings tonight and try it again. Any other suggestions?

Again, thanks for the suggestions Miles. It seems all the above items check out on my system and are correct. In addition to the above items I tried disabling all kinds of stuff in the bios that I thought unnecessary. Turboboost, speedstep among others on a whim and even accidentally disabled my legacy USB support which rendered my keyboard useless! Nothing worked.

I can clarify the error a bit more though:

After POST and beep I get this boot0:donea (followed by two unfamiliar character symbols and a third which is a paragraph symbol or pilcrow)

Any other ideas out there?

Well, if that ain't the darndest thing... I hope you find help for this - maybe try an ASUS user group. Sorry I couldn't be of service :?

Hope you get it all worked out.

Best,
Miles

dersu said:
Again, thanks for the suggestions Miles. It seems all the above items check out on my system and are correct. In addition to the above items I tried disabling all kinds of stuff in the bios that I thought unnecessary. Turboboost, speedstep among others on a whim and even accidentally disabled my legacy USB support which rendered my keyboard useless! Nothing worked.

I can clarify the error a bit more though:

After POST and beep I get this boot0:donea (followed by two unfamiliar character symbols and a third which is a paragraph symbol or pilcrow)

Any other ideas out there?
A boot0 error is usually an indication that the boot1 file is missing. Try running the Chimera stand alone installer with the USB drive as the target. If that doesn't work, then try downloading and burning rBoot. Set the DVD/CD-RW to first boot device in BIOS. With rBoot in DVD tray and UniBeast USB plugged in to USB port boot the machine. rBoot should get you to the Chimera screen where you can select the USB installer. If this works, then you need to wipe your UniBeast USB and make it over again if you want to keep it for later use. Yoe might also need to get a different USB flash drive - some of them just don't work for some reason.

When you format the USB drive in disk utility, go to the partition tab and click the options button. Make sure it's set to Master Boot Record and not GUID before you format it. Had the same problem with a boot error and changing to Master Boot Record fixed it.

Let me preface this by saying I haven't really used a Mac in probably 15 years. I'm happy to say that making a new USB installer with Unibeast has worked though! The original USB must've been corrupt; probably incompetence on my part :oops: I'm so impressed with Unibeast and Multibeast so far (bad USB experiences aside) I'm inclined to donate to tonymacx86. Thanks for all the help.

I made another installer USB with the original USB I had problems with once Lion was up and running last night and it seemed to boot up fine.
Backstory:
In addition to re-learning Mac while using Unibeast the hardest part was figuring where to put the Install OSX Lion files on my friends laptop (application folder, duh). My friends macbook air on which I had purchased Lion had long since gone back to Queens--along with my Lion installer files--so prior to making this new Unibeast USB I had already snail mailed (!) a USB to Queens with return postage to get the installer files that I forgot to keep a copy of alongside my bad Unibeast USB. Quite a community affair this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back