Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H81M-HD2
CPU
Intel i5 4460
Graphics
Intel HD 4600
Hows this for a hack that is meant for lots of browsing and running adobe suite? Wanted to test out onboard graphics before buying a chip. Main goal is ease of installation / compatibility and seeing as this is practically all tonymac recommended I hope it's a go. Thanks for looking!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Decided to change the HDD to a WD Green 1TB and the SSD to a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB.

This is a bump much later looking for some advice on a graphics card. Ive added a second monitor and the onboard no longer cuts it. Would you share a recommendation if you have one please?

A GTX 950 is a good basic card for dual monitors. See the Buyer's Guide for links.

The 950 doesnt appear to be based on Kepler architecture which would give me installation difficulties with Mavericks.

The 950 doesnt appear to be based on Kepler architecture which would give me installation difficulties with Mavericks.
What is the reason you want Mavericks instead of Yosemite or newer ?

Hows this for a hack that is meant for lots of browsing and running adobe suite? Wanted to test out onboard graphics before buying a chip. Main goal is ease of installation / compatibility and seeing as this is practically all tonymac recommended I hope it's a go. Thanks for looking!

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD2 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill N900PCE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

If you're planning on going with Mavericks you can use Intel HD 4600 or find yourself a nice second hand GTC 760.

Main user of computer doesnt see the need to upgrade, they have been happy with mavericks. Im fine with not spending the time upgrading it for them. Now that a second monitor doesnt reliably work I need to add in a gpu.

I'm limited to a single slot on the PCI and the only geforce kepler that I can find that fits that profile is the GTX 645. So I'm gonna keep doing some research and perhaps look into upgrading the OS as buying a 4 year old GPU isnt appealing (but it is cheap!).

Main user of computer doesnt see the need to upgrade, they have been happy with mavericks. Im fine with not spending the time upgrading it for them. Now that a second monitor doesnt reliably work I need to add in a gpu.

I'm limited to a single slot on the PCI and the only geforce kepler that I can find that fits that profile is the GTX 645. So I'm gonna keep doing some research and perhaps look into upgrading the OS as buying a 4 year old GPU isnt appealing (but it is cheap!).

Don't go with Mavericks, you will regret it. Everytime I get a real Mac that can't run Sierra, I realize how crippled I am, as most apps require Yosemite or greater. Do yourself a favor and go with Sierra.

I appreciate the concern but Mavericks is already working fine and as the main function is browsing and adobe suite still, those programs run great on 10.9.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back