i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 680
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys,

I recently got an old G5 as a gift from a friend. Now I decided to make a hackintosh out of it.
I never build a PC, the only things I did was changing GPUs/HDDs and removing/adding some PCI cards.
On the other hand, I know OS X pretty well.

I want to use the following parts:

PowerMac G5 (single CPU) case
Intel Core i7-3770K (I plan to OC it to 4-4.2 Ghz)
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Samsung 830 256GB
2x some 1TB HDD in RAID0
24GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM
Corsair HX650
Original G5 fans
Maybe Corsair H80 CPU-watercooling.

I need it for Photoshop editing. Next to school, I earn some money as a photographer and graphic designer.

Yes, I know, using a regular PC case is better for a beginner and so on, but I want to use that case. It's by far the most beautiful case I've ever seen. And I've checked several stores and online shops for good PC cases. Didn't find anything as good-looking as that case. I'm using a 2009 Mac Pro at the moment, and even under 100% CPU load it is very quiet.
I have enough time to do a project like this, I'm still a student at high school, in my holidays there will be enough time.

Do you think a noob like me will be able to get the hackintosh working in that case?
Is it really that difficult?

Thanks for helping!

Do you think a noob like me will be able to get the hackintosh working in that case?
Is it really that difficult?

Thanks for helping!

There are several G5 case mod Hackintoshes in User Builds - you might want to search over there to get some ideas.
IIRC, think I read somewhere a full ATX board will not fit in a G5? Something to check as the G5 mods I have seen have been either mATX or ITX.
You might take a look at ellhead's build for a goal to shoot for - http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16300

There are several G5 case mod Hackintoshes in User Builds - you might want to search over there to get some ideas.
IIRC, think I read somewhere a full ATX board will not fit in a G5? Something to check as the G5 mods I have seen have been either mATX or ITX.
You might take a look at ellhead's build for a goal to shoot for - http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16300

Thanks.
From what I read full ATX mobos fit, but you have to cut out a part of the upper kind of platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back