First time building a Hackintosh for lightweight Final cut pro X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I would like to build a Hackintosh machine for video editing (lightweight).
Is the following list compatible?

CPU: Core i3-8100
MB: Gigabyte Z370 HD3
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (8GB) (other options?)
SSD: 250G SAMSUNG 960EVO MZ-V6E250BW M.2 PCIe3.0 2280 NVMe SSD
Power Support:Corsair CX 550/550W ATX PowerSupply,5 Years Warranty (80PLUS BRONZE)(CP-9020121-UK)
Display Card: AMD R9390X ( or cheaper version)

Last edited:
Hi,
Everything you already had in mind should be compatible with hackintosh.

That i3-8100 is similar in performance to i5-7500. I never used Final Cut Pro before, so I am not sure if that is nice enough; you should have a better idea.

If you don't plan on upgrading your CPU down the line, you could choose a cheaper motherboard since i3-8100 is not OC-able. That would trim off a maximum of $70 (if you bought the ASRock H310M-HDV, the cheapest of all).

For the RAM, it should be fine to buy any ram as long as they are from major vendors: Crucial (which owns Ballistix and is owned by Micron), Kingston (owns HyperX), HK Hynix (I think they only sell chips and OEM RAM under their name), etc... Nowadays 8G should be the bottom line; you can just buy the cheapest 2400MHz DDR4 if you have specific concerns about RAM. FYI, one of G.Skill's mid/high-tier RAM is on sale recently on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820232086.

R9 390X appears to be not that easy to buy; it's quite expensive too. Whats the price of Radeon RX 580 where you buy your parts?

Don't forget cooling; not sure if you will need WiFi or Bluetooth, but there are plenty guides around on the forum.

Hop these helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back