Contribute
Register

First time builder. Advice needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the reference model MSI Vega 64, it works!

The Vega fan fix kexts work. I'm using it with my Vega 56 too.

The cards that are unaffected by the kext are the Vega cards with proprietary coolers/multiple fans. Those Vega cards have to just rely on their cards' firmware to control the fans.

Awesome! Thanks for the help @pastrychef and for conforming @Gigamaxx ! Than that will be my new card :).
I'll start ordering my stuff, and will post a link here to a user build thread. Can't wait to get started :).

Any explicit guides you would advice to follow other than the standard ones and the following kext for the GPU AMD10000Controller.kext ?

Awesome! Thanks for the help @pastrychef and for conforming @Gigamaxx ! Than that will be my new card :).
I'll start ordering my stuff, and will post a link here to a user build thread. Can't wait to get started :).

Any explicit guides you would advice to follow other than the standard ones and the following kext for the GPU AMD10000Controller.kext ?

Guides to do what?

If you are going to use that Vega card, you don't need to do anything with kexts to get it to work. Don't mess with AMD10000Controller.kext.

Guides to do what?

If you are going to use that Vega card, you don't need to do anything with kexts to get it to work. Don't mess with AMD10000Controller.kext.

Maybe the vegafanfixkext?

The Vega card he chose has a non-reference cooler and the Vega fan fix kext won't do anything to the fans.

Then I misunderstood this comment :
If you get that card from Newegg, you can fix the fan issue with just one kext.

But if no kexts are needed, then it's even better.

Then I misunderstood this comment :

But if no kexts are needed, then it's even better.

Oops.. My mistake. Had you mistaken for another user who's also seeking buying advice on a Vega.

Yes, you will need the Vega fan fix.

You can find a copy of the utility used to create the kext attached to post #1 of my Z370-G thread.

Thanks for the help @pastrychef !

One more thing. What's your opinion on RAM stick sets and combining them on a dual channel board? I've read different opinions on using 2x16GB and 4x8GB.
My original idea was to go for 2x16GB now, and in the future expand it with another 2x16GB to have 64GB in total, but I've read that combining sets could lead to bad performance (even with the same brand/type of RAM sticks).

So I could also go for 4x8GB set now (it's more aesthetically pleasing) and in the future replace them for 4x16 set. But if adding a similar 2x16GB set later on will have no consequences, then that will be my (and my wallet's) preferred option.

Thanks for the help @pastrychef !

One more thing. What's your opinion on RAM stick sets and combining them on a dual channel board? I've read different opinions on using 2x16GB and 4x8GB.
My original idea was to go for 2x16GB now, and in the future expand it with another 2x16GB to have 64GB in total, but I've read that combining sets could lead to bad performance (even with the same brand/type of RAM sticks).

So I could also go for 4x8GB set now (it's more aesthetically pleasing) and in the future replace them for 4x16 set. But if adding a similar 2x16GB set later on will have no consequences, then that will be my (and my wallet's) preferred option.

2x16GB should be fine. This allows you to upgrade later if you need more RAM. If you stick to using RAM with same specs, I don't see how it can affect performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back