Intel 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello,

I have been reading through this site for a while. I love how informative everyone is here! I'm looking to build a machine used for Airplay and media through iTunes, gaming, and heavy photo editing, with light video editing. I would also like to down the road install windows on a separate HD. I would like to install OSX on a SSD. Then install media (music, movies, photos) on a separate HD (3TB 7200 etc). Would the install of windows also require a separate media HD? I know its best to install the OS on a separate HD, but could windoze read the media on that 3tb drive?

My build will be like this,
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...k-ga-z77x-ud5h-16gb-ram-2133mhz-gt-640-a.html

I will also be using the
[h=1]Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi (GA-Z77X-UP5-TH)[/h]can I also use most mid tower cases for this build?

My main concerns are being able to use itunes and my apple tv, being able to use airplay, reliability (minor bugs, not a huge deal but over all avoiding kernel panics), and being able to do some high graphics gaming.

Sorry for the post throw up, just ideas that have been running through my head for a bit.

Will this install and setup be a fairly smooth process and work? Thanks everyone!

I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable than I to comment on your case selection.

As for Windows reading/writing to your Mac HFSJ formatted 3TB drive drive that should be no problem so long as you install something like MacDrive in Windows. Unfortunately it's not free. There are some free Windows programs but I think they only allow reading the Mac drive, not writing

In the alternative you could format your 3TB drive as NTFS in Windows and then install some of the free programs in OS X that allow your Mac to read/write to NTFS formatted drives.

I've got programs installed in Windows and OS X that allow me to read/write to all the drives regardless on which OS I am in and regardless of how the drive was formatted.

Would a FAT format not be compatible?

I think you'll run into problems using FAT instead of NTFS. I think there is a file size limitation of 4GB in FAT which could cause problems if you have video files larger than 4GB. There may also be a problem formatting a 3 TB drive as FAT.

I use FAT for small USB sticks so they can be read by Windows and OS X but its been a long time since I've formatted a hard-drive as FAT.

Good to know. I have an external that is FAT format with media and haven't had much of a problem, but going up to larger files for video editing could be a problem. Thanks for the post and info about that app.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it more when I start compiling the build.

Does that MB have many issues, in regards to minor bugs, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back