Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
UHD 630
Hello all,

I am very new to this whole concept and am very fortunate to have found this amazing
resource. I have been a Mac user for years, but would like a newer and faster one but
can't really afford a Mac Pro. I have been reading this forum for a few days, and while I have many years of Mac experience, upgrading/trouble shooting etc, I don't know the first thing about most of these desktop components.

Here's what I would like: A powerful and reliable desktop that can serve as my main day to day computer but also will do a fair amount of music production and some light design work. (possibly occasional gaming). I will use my existing motu firewire interface and most of the usual audio apps; Logic Pro, Ableton live, etc. Ideally I would like something at least equivalent to the current Mac Pro.

From reading the forums here I figured the CustoMac Pro would be a good build to follow viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465
or the MacMan build - viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14260

In comparing these two it looks like the main differences are in the boards, CPU's and the video cards?

Could anyone tell me which I would choose between the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and the
Gigabyte X58A-UD5?? And between the Intel Core i7 930 and the Intel Core i7 950??
I really have no idea.

As for the video card I don't need a super top line card or anything, should I just go with the GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5770 listed in the CustoMac build??

I just want a solid performer than will work without lots of issues or tweaking.
I am totally open to any suggestions and my budget is around $1000 but can be a little more if need be. I am ready to order the parts ASAP and get this going, and will be very grateful for any assistance. Thanks!

Arron said:
Hello all,

I am very new to this whole concept and am very fortunate to have found this amazing
resource. I have been a Mac user for years, but would like a newer and faster one but
can't really afford a Mac Pro. I have been reading this forum for a few days, and while I have many years of Mac experience, upgrading/trouble shooting etc, I don't know the first thing about most of these desktop components.

Here's what I would like: A powerful and reliable desktop that can serve as my main day to day computer but also will do a fair amount of music production and some light design work. (possibly occasional gaming). I will use my existing motu firewire interface and most of the usual audio apps; Logic Pro, Ableton live, etc. Ideally I would like something at least equivalent to the current Mac Pro.

From reading the forums here I figured the CustoMac Pro would be a good build to follow viewtopic.php?f=81&t=11465
or the MacMan build - viewtopic.php?f=54&t=14260

In comparing these two it looks like the main differences are in the boards, CPU's and the video cards?

Could anyone tell me which I would choose between the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R and the
Gigabyte X58A-UD5?? And between the Intel Core i7 930 and the Intel Core i7 950??
I really have no idea.

As for the video card I don't need a super top line card or anything, should I just go with the GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD5770 listed in the CustoMac build??

I just want a solid performer than will work without lots of issues or tweaking.
I am totally open to any suggestions and my budget is around $1000 but can be a little more if need be. I am ready to order the parts ASAP and get this going, and will be very grateful for any assistance. Thanks!
Either one will do the job for what you want to do with it. While my personal preference would be for the UD5 because of the dual NICs (one for local network server connection and one for www), the UD3R is the "little brother" of the UD7 (also 2 NICs) and should give you good service. Otherwise, they are very close in design and capabilities.

Either the Gigabyte or the Sapphire 5770 in my sig works OOB.

Since you are going to be running Logic Pro, go with the 950 or higher CPU if the price step is reasonable.

Excellent, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back