Contribute
Register

First time build. Is Monterey a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490-Creator
CPU
i9-10850k
Graphics
RX 560
I am admittedly a total dolt when it comes to computers. This is the first PC I’ve ever built, let alone a hackintosh. I have a base level MacBook, but I’m taking on more projects that require something more capable (using mostly Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Ableton for content creation, editing, and production). My laptop is running Monterey so I figured that’s what I should be installing, but my first attempt was a total fail and the boot kept freezing.
EADBE204-6669-4F1F-8E7C-A8AFDEF409C2.jpeg
It seems like Monterey seems much more complex than other OS.

All that is to ask: am I crazy for trying to start with the latest Monterey, or is just likely a beginners learning curve? Specs:

CPU: Intel core i9-10850k (comet lake I believe)

Motherboard: Asus ProArt Z490-Creator

GPU: AMD RX 560 4GB

Ram: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200

SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB- M.2 NVMe

Audio Codec: Realtek ALC S1220A

Ethernet: Intel 1225-V 2.5GB

Wifi/BT: fenvi T919 PCI-E Wi-Fi adapter

OpenCore 0.7.6

Boot-args: -v debug=0x100 alcid=1 dk.e1000=0

Installing macOS Catalina or an early version of macOS Big Sur would probably be a better option, i.e. 11.1 or 11.2. That way you can configure your motherboards USB ports, before you update past Big Sur 11.3. The reason I say this is because the XhciPortLimit quirk in OpenCore is not working in Big Sur 11.3+. This quirk enables USB ports to function and be discovered so a USBPorts.kext can be created that complies with Apple's 15 port limit/USB controller.

Your PC build is a good one, bar the Samsung NVME drive. These drives have been found to be problematic in macOS Monterey, due to a Firmware issue related to the failure of Trim (garbage collection) on Samsung NVME drives. See this thread in the Monterey Installation forum - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/general-nvme-drive-problems-fatal.316546/

I would recommend you have a read and follow this guide by one of the site Admin's, it details what is required for a similar build to yours - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tor-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.305775/

Installing macOS Catalina or an early version of macOS Big Sur would probably be a better option, i.e. 11.1 or 11.2. That way you can configure your motherboards USB ports, before you update past Big Sur 11.3. The reason I say this is because the XhciPortLimit quirk in OpenCore is not working in Big Sur 11.3+. This quirk enables USB ports to function and be discovered so a USBPorts.kext can be created that complies with Apple's 15 port limit/USB controller.

Your PC build is a good one, bar the Samsung NVME drive. These drives have been found to be problematic in macOS Monterey, due to a Firmware issue related to the failure of Trim (garbage collection) on Samsung NVME drives. See this thread in the Monterey Installation forum - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/general-nvme-drive-problems-fatal.316546/

I would recommend you have a read and follow this guide by one of the site Admin's, it details what is required for a similar build to yours - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...tor-thunderbolt-3-i5-10400-amd-rx-580.305775/
Thank you! I went back to drawing board and followed the OC steps for catalina. Unfortunately that boot is now freezing at USBports and then gives me an Apple address for support. Any idea if I did anything wrong?

Have you enabled the Kernel > Quirk > XhciPortLimit entry in the OC config.plist, this is like the old Clover USB port limit patches and tends to work ok in Catalina.

You may also need to set UEFI > Quirks > ReleaseUsbOwnership as true/enabled.

Are you using a USB2 pen drive and USB2 port to run the installation?

Have you enabled the Kernel > Quirk > XhciPortLimit entry in the OC config.plist, this is like the old Clover USB port limit patches and tends to work ok in Catalina.

You may also need to set UEFI > Quirks > ReleaseUsbOwnership as true/enabled.

Are you using a USB2 pen drive and USB2 port to run the installation?
Ill check for those configurations. I set XchiPortLimit to False based off what I read in the OC guide, is that wrong? I am using a USB3 in a USB3 port. My build doesn't have USB2 ports on it.

The recent issues with the XhciPort Limit quirk don't effect macOS Catalina. So you should use it along with a recent version of USBInjectAll.kext, unless you have a custom USBPorts.kext/USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system.

The recent issues with the XhciPort Limit quirk don't effect macOS Catalina. So you should use it along with a recent version of USBInjectAll.kext, unless you have a custom USBPorts.kext/USBMap.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system.
I appreciate all your help with this! I got to the load screen only to realize that I had downloaded a recent version of Big Sur installer (directly from app store). How do I find the Big Sur 11.2 installer? Been searching on here but only seem to find links to the app store or later versions. Would you recommend installing Catalina and then updating once I've mapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back