Contribute
Register

first powermac g5 mod...Update 05-10. gtx 285 flash mac rom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
powerpcg5 said:
Did you use a QT1040 chip?

I like your mod very much.... I like how the rear panel of the G5 was kept intact.
I'm thinking along those lines too... I know it's going to be more difficult (labor intensive) than just buying a mobo tray.

Love the L-bracket you made for the speaker and fan. Brilliant!

it is AT42QT1010...only single channel. got 25 of them from china. real cheap.

nige2000 said:
good to see some raw innovation, and the no fear approach to the soldering iron

great post

thanks. it is only a few soldering...

belcboo said:
Could you put the diagrams of the devices that you built and mod for your G5 case mod?... I'm thinking in build my own g5, and i think that your diagrams could be very useful, for me and for all who want build your own g5 mod's.

I hope you can do it. Regards
no problem. which circuit do you need. actually. they are very sample and most of them have diagrams on the data sheet.
entouchgraphics said:
WOW!!!! I absolutely LOVE this mod... My favorite of them all. I plan on doing something similar, just possibly with my own home made PCB for the I/O's, or maybe not haha idk..

Could you however elaborate on how much room there is between the I/O holes on the case itself and the ports on the Mobo if mounted flush to the PCI ports like yours is? I just want an estimate of how much room there is to work with...

And I am not trying to be picky, but, do you maybe have a pin-out diagram of the I/O's?

Thanks man!

really no much space...if you keep the apple rear io. there is only 3mm-5mm gap
IMG_3895.jpg

and you cannot use the fw800 port, if you keep the coaxial port....

Very nice mod, would you mind explaining or showing how you did the DVD tray opening button soldering part, what parts you used etc? thanks in advance

Compass said:
Very nice mod, would you mind explaining or showing how you did the DVD tray opening button soldering part, what parts you used etc? thanks in advance

unscrew, and open the bottom cover, then locate the pinouts of the pushbutton. somehow look like this
IMG_0072.jpg

usually. 4 pins. and mostly only 1 pin have individual track. and other 3 are shorted. (the blue pins i marked.) then solider one of the blue pin and the red pin. to a pushbutton...or switch.( if you have kid toys. or old device that have button...you can recycle it.
hope this can help.

gouedi said:
Compass said:

unscrew, and open the bottom cover, then locate the pinouts of the pushbutton. somehow look like this
IMG_0072.jpg

usually. 4 pins. and mostly only 1 pin have individual track. and other 3 are shorted. (the blue pins i marked.) then solider one of the blue pin and the red pin. to a pushbutton...or switch.( if you have kid toys. or old device that have button...you can recycle it.
hope this can help.

Perfect........thanks.

I have an old DVD drive that I'm going to pull the button out of, of which the PCB board looks the same as your one.

Speaking of which, could I just cut the original PCB board(like the one in your pic) down a bit, then solder my 'extension' wire/cable directly on onto that? or do I have to get some of that board yours is attach to?

Sorry for the questions, I'm not much of a sparky, as such don't have alot of stuff lying around. Would need to buy that borad if I cant cut down the original.

Thanks for the fast reply too.........

Yeah you solder your connection straight to the board.
What I did was us the switch with the wires connected to test it before soldering it all up. That way I knew I had it working.
His Blue and red arrows should be spot on for all units but just in case if you want to test it before.

Compass said:
gouedi said:
Compass said:

IMG_0072.jpg

hope this can help.

Perfect........thanks.

I have an old DVD drive that I'm going to pull the button out of, of which the PCB board looks the same as your one.

Speaking of which, could I just cut the original PCB board(like the one in your pic) down a bit, then solder my 'extension' wire/cable directly on onto that? or do I have to get some of that board yours is attach to?

Sorry for the questions, I'm not much of a sparky, as such don't have alot of stuff lying around. Would need to buy that borad if I cant cut down the original.

Thanks for the fast reply too.........

as eelhead say... you should test before soldering. basically, you can use screwdriver or wire to short the two pins you identified.

if you cannot find spare pushbutton, you can desolder the pushbutton. do not try to cut the pcb(to much cutting and may short the circuit.)
for desoldering. you can use desoldering braid. if you dont have. you can use stranded wire instead.
after you desolder the button. solder a extension wire to the button. then finish...

Thanks for all the tips, tested it out today and works a well. Like you said, cutting the old PCB will be a pain so have bought two new buttons, some PCB board and two 3mm LED's, only a couple of dollars all up, too easy.

Last night I went right through the customisation thread and found this, so I got exactly what he used.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=11452

it didn't come up in any searches.

Next up will be the reset button :crazy:

Very nice mod, you have the gift of making it look very simple (and maybe for you it was) ...

:clap: :clap:

gouedi said:
my rom chip arrived today. and soldered it to my evga gtx 285 and flash the mac rom to solve the 2.5 Gt/s issue.
here is the picture of the chip that i replaced.
the original chip is MX 25L1005
and i replaced with SST 25VF040.
Result:
the next modding is bluetooth....
I have a few GTX 285. I replaced EEPROM on one and flashed it with Mac BIOS. Did you flashed yours with Mac BIOS 152KB or put back the original PC BIOS 64KB?

BTW, the 2.5GT/s is supersticious/cosmetic, the real link speed is 5GT/s, you can confirm it with lspci or CUDA-Z.

The reason I have replaced the EEPROM is to verify any changes in H.264 Hardware Accelerated Decoding. Unfortunately, it did not make any difference - still getting: VDADecoderCreate failed. err: -12473

I wonder what you are getting when you ran this test on your machine as your are using the same video. The utility is posted here:http://www.tonymacx86.com/download/file.php?id=16696

Also, I noticed with GTX 285 w/Mac BIOS installed - my machine will not wake up and it will mess up the MB BIOS for good you have to unplug it to recover. So I put my other GTX 285 with PC BIOS back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back