NVidia
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Good day everyone!

I am in the planning stages of my very first Mac OS build. I have been building Windows based systems for over 20 years now so my questions will be more from the side of compatibility and ease of configuring. I have been reading this forum for over a year now and based on what I had learned from all of you, I had successfully installed the Snow Leopard DVD on my old Dell XPS M1530. The whole reason I decided to experiment with Mac OS is because my wife and I are both iPhone/iPad users and my wife has been asking me for a Macbook Air for some time now. I told her I needed to learn the OS so I can answer her usage questions before buying otherwise I'd probably end up in the dog house!

After installing the OS on my Dell, I was very surprised to find that I actually preferred Mac OS over windows. So my plan was to purchase and iMac when the new models came out. Unfortunately, Apples decision to significantly limit their configuration options has forced me into designing my own build and so here I am asking for all of your help.

As my header states, I am in need of a system that will have no issue running any sort of game at the highest of settings. In addition, I do a lot of editing and recording of uncompressed video using a Black Magic Intensity Pro board. I then edit the video using a couple software packages, mostly Adobe Premier. And then I encode the video to .h264 for distribution. I am not sure if the Intensity Pro card has drivers for Mac OS, so I will also be installing Windows 8 on this system as well (for gaming also).

Processor:
I am pretty much set on an Intel i7-3770K

Motherboard:
Normally I would use an ASUS board, but I would like this to be as easy of an install as possible so I have picked 2 different Gigabyte boards. If everything works out of the box with the exception of any wireless card that may come with the MB, that would be great! My first choice is the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH since this has dual Thunderbolt ports for future proofing. My only issue with the board is that it only has 3 internal SATA III ports and I do not see any recommended add on boards for SATA III that are known to be compatible with Mac OS. If you could recommend one, that would pretty much lock me in on this board. Also, I haven't seen any details anywhere for how difficult it is to get the Thunderbolt ports working in Mac OS? My fallback board is the GA-Z77X-UD5H. I am assuming that everything works on these boards including audio, networking, USB 3 and on board video?

Memory:
I was planning on maxing the board out with G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

Video Card:
This will be a gaming rig first and the video encoding/editing will be a secondary function, so I really don't want a Quadro card. I would really like to use the ASUS GTX690-4GD5, however I have not seen any details anywhere as to how difficult it is to get working. I have seen posts of people having success with a GTX690, but not this specific card. So if anyone can chime in on what is involved in getting this card to work and how much functionality I will get in Mac OS, that would be helpful! If it works, but I don't get full functionality I might jump to windows when needed or I will step back to the ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 unless there are any objections to that one. If there are then I was thinking of the GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-4GD.

Hard Drives:
I was planning on only using SSD's in this system in the following configuration: 250 GB for Mac OS, 250 GB for Win 8, up to 1 TB for uncompressed video recording and 250 GB drive to encode to. My question stems from only Sandisk drives being recommended, however I will need a drive that works well with incompressible data and currently that would be the Samsung 840 PRO for my encoding drive. Any SSD that uses a Sandforce controller has very poor performance when writing incompressible data, i.e. the Sandisk drives that are recommended. Would this lead to compatibility issues with Mac OS or does pretty much any SSD work?

I currently have a case, power supply and monitor (although a nice 27" 2560 x 1440 display would be nice!) to use and I do not believe there is any impact on Mac OS for those devices. I plan on installing Mountain Lion for this build and will purchase that from the App store on my Snow Leopard Install. Any advice on this build is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. You've got a lot of pc building experience and also done your homework about the
Customac approach. You're already halfway there! In regard to your questions, yes the Samsung ssds will
likely be the best choice for your build, Apple actually gets their ssds for the Macbook line from Samsung.
As far as graphics cards the TonyMac site moderators have tested all of those listed here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/325-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2013.html#gfx_cards

Buy whichever brand of the GTX 680 listed that you like the most and fits your needs. For 500 dollars less than a
690 you can get an excellent card that is very compatible with OSX Mountain Lion.

Thank you very much for the response trs96, it is greatly appreciated. I was not aware that Apple used Samsung SSD's. I agree with you regarding the GTX680 and I think that in the future if I need more oomph gaming, I can always toss another in for at least a boost in windows. You never know, Apple may support SLI when the new Mac PRO's are released!

I am still struggling with the motherboard however. I can't seem to decide between the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, GA-Z77X-UD5H or the GA-Z77X-UP7.

The GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is my first choice because of the dual Thunderbolt ports which would future proof me for when I get that nice 4K monitor or Thunderbolt storage. The drawback is that it only has 3 SATA III ports and I need 4 unless I run both windows 8 and Mac OS on the same drive. Or I add a SATA III card to the build, but I don't see any on the list of compatible hardware. Besides the wifi/Bluetooth expansion board not being supported, are there any additional drawbacks to this board?

I believe the GA-Z77X-UP7 is the overclocking champ currently with the i7-3770K processor which seems like a nice fall back board if I decide against the previous board. However, there appears to be some concern regarding the on board NIC and audio. I did see a report that the audio was working, but I didn't see any instructions on how to configure this board or additional information on what isn't working. Any comments on this board?

The GA-Z77X-UD5H seems like a very safe board, I may go with this one if I see too many issues with the previous two. Is that a safe assumption?

My final question today is on the Asus boards. I have been using their boards for years for windows based builds, so I think you can understand my slight hesitation when switching brands. From what I read, the primary issue with these boards is that the power management features are not functioning (i.e. speedstep, sleep). Are there any boards by Asus that are fully functional including the power saving features?

Thanks again for your help! I almost have the hardware all picked out and I'll post it for review before purchase.

Thank you very much for the response trs96, it is greatly appreciated. I was not aware that Apple used Samsung SSD's. I agree with you regarding the GTX680 and I think that in the future if I need more oomph gaming, I can always toss another in for at least a boost in windows. You never know, Apple may support SLI when the new Mac PRO's are released!

I am still struggling with the motherboard however. I can't seem to decide between the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, GA-Z77X-UD5H or the GA-Z77X-UP7.

The GA-Z77X-UP5 TH is my first choice because of the dual Thunderbolt ports which would future proof me for when I get that nice 4K monitor or Thunderbolt storage. The drawback is that it only has 3 SATA III ports and I need 4 unless I run both windows 8 and Mac OS on the same drive. Or I add a SATA III card to the build, but I don't see any on the list of compatible hardware. Besides the wifi/Bluetooth expansion board not being supported, are there any additional drawbacks to this board?

I believe the GA-Z77X-UP7 is the overclocking champ currently with the i7-3770K processor which seems like a nice fall back board if I decide against the previous board. However, there appears to be some concern regarding the on board NIC and audio. I did see a report that the audio was working, but I didn't see any instructions on how to configure this board or additional information on what isn't working. Any comments on this board?

The GA-Z77X-UD5H seems like a very safe board, I may go with this one if I see too many issues with the previous two. Is that a safe assumption?

My final question today is on the Asus boards. I have been using their boards for years for windows based builds, so I think you can understand my slight hesitation when switching brands. From what I read, the primary issue with these boards is that the power management features are not functioning (i.e. speedstep, sleep). Are there any boards by Asus that are fully functional including the power saving features?

Thanks again for your help! I almost have the hardware all picked out and I'll post it for review before purchase.

You do have the option to stay with Asus for your CustoMac. The P8Z77 V Pro Thunderbolt is likely the best match. You'd get 4 Sata 3 ports and the audio is compatible. I'm not 100% sure about the Intel Lan chipset though as I've never used an Asus board. You could search the forums for more on that. Also look at some of the other Asus boards listed in Samisnake's bios repo. So the only extra step that I know of for the aforementioned board is to use the usb flashback feature to flash the bios with one from here:

http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/z77/

This will make all of the Apple Intel cpu power management features functional. That being said, you will definitely have an easier time of it to get everything working with a GB board. If you do want to go with Gigabyte they have proven to be a high quality, reliable brand with the most support on this site. The UP5 TH would be the best choice of the GB boards. For my first build last year I stuck with a recommended build and had just a few small issues with it. Hope that helps and good luck on your build !

2 more things. Set up your OSX/Windows dual boot on separate SSD's. Set chimera as the primary boot loader. It's a little tricky to do but there is a good video tutorial here, http://youtu.be/cIBiGsqvAWg you'll have no problem with it. For bluetooth use the USB Iogear BT4.0. Works great with my magic trackpad. GBU521 is the model, it's working natively in Mtn. Lion.

I think I have this pretty much set, I will go with the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and add the RocketRAID 640L card for my 4th SATA III port. So I will use 3 Samsung (128GB or 256GB) 840 PROs for the two OS drives and my scratch drive for transcoding all connected to the MB SATA III ports. For capturing the uncompressed video, I'll use the SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-480G-G25 2.5" 480GB SATA III for now connected to the rocketraid. Although, it might be better for performance to swap the scratch disk to the raid card. I'll look into that. I don't need a storage drive since I have a server for that, so this should work nicely. I also decided on the ASUS GTX680-DC2-4GD5 GeForce GTX 680 4GB video card so I should be close to a golden build. I'll do a search and see if I can find one with the MultiBeast configuration detailed.

Should I post the pre-purchase detailed configuration in this thread or do you think I should start a new one to get lots of eyes on it?

The magic track pad you refer to, is that the one by Apple or Microsoft? You wouldn't happen to also run Windows 8, would you? I am looking for one that I can use on both OS's with all features or I will just have to get a separate one (Apple's and Microsoft's) for each OS.

Thanks again for all of the help!

I'd call this build:

The BOBW (Best of Both Worlds) Mac Pro. Windows and Mac dual boot, gaming and video editing all in one machine.
I haven't seen any dual boot setups like this in the Golden Builds so it would be unique.

Yes, I'm using a trackpad from Apple but I'm not dual booting with Win8

See this thread for more on how to get a Magic Trackpad and Mouse to work with both OS's

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...c-trackpad-magic-mouse-bluetooth-setup-4.html

680 FTW! You'll love it!

Don't get the Asus 680. People have a ton of RMA problems with it, and when they do work, they really disrupt airflow in your case and also bend the motherboard a lot because they take up three slots. I'd say go with an MSI Lightning GTX 680.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially trs96!

@trs96 - that is too funny, I like it! I'll use that for sure for the actual build post! lol

@StickyS - This is the 4GB version of the Asus card which only takes 2 slots. I'll take a look at the card you recommended, however I have not seen anything that suggests this specific Asus card has problems. Thank you! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121705

I have everything picked out now and will post under the title: "My first OSX build - Please check for compatibility! (BOBW)" This way you know that it is this specific build.

Thanks everyone for your feedback, especially trs96!

@trs96 - that is too funny, I like it! I'll use that for sure for the actual build post! lol

@StickyS - This is the 4GB version of the Asus card which only takes 2 slots. I'll take a look at the card you recommended, however I have not seen anything that suggests this specific Asus card has problems. Thank you! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121705

I have everything picked out now and will post under the title: "My first OSX build - Please check for compatibility! (BOBW)" This way you know that it is this specific build.

Alright. Just so you aren't surprised when things MIGHT go wrong, here are some links from a quick google search:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/385928-33-asus-crashes-load-game

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...eries/asus-gtx-680-4gb-sli-just-not-working-/

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285386-asus-gtx680-4gb-sync-out-of-range-during-ml-install/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back