7700k i7
Graphics
GTX 1080 SC2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone! I am looking to do my first Hackintosh build, and the end goal is to dual boot between Windows and Mac.

Right now I plan on using the following gear:

ASUS STRIX mATX Z270 LGA1151 Logic Board:
- Worried about the onboard Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Audio not working. Would love to hear if anyone has used this in a build.​

INTEL 4.2GHz Quad Core i7 7700k "Kabylake" Processor:
- With the release of the new MacBook Pro's that use Kabylake, I assume it is now compatible?

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 8GB GPU:
- Now I have seen multiple Hackintosh builds with the 1080, so I assume this is fine?

Also planning on using:
- IN WIN 301 Case
- NZXT Kraken X54 Water cooler
- NZXT RGB 120mm Fans
- G.Skill DDR4 3200Mhz (2x16GB)
- EVGA Supernova 650W power supply
- Two Samsung EVO 512GB SSD's one for Windows and one for Mac
- Two Dell 24" 1440p monitors​

Does this look like a smart build? Are there any issues beyond the usual quirks of Hackintosh that are concerning with this setup?

Thanks all,

Last edited:
I used this motherboard and cpu on my first Hackintosh build. RAM was the Ballistic Sport 32GB 2400 ram from the recommended list (does limit my overclock atm, will likely upgrade in a few months). Went with an Asus Phoenix GTX1050ti for video card. Various 2.5" SSD in the build. I went with BitPhenix mATX case. Using BenQ 27" and Samsung 28" monitors. Using 10.12.5 for OS version.

Followed the build here. margate did some good work, we get to reap the benefits. The CPU is spoofed as in the build.

Other parts from recommended list:
Bluetooth
Network

Not tried audio, don't care as it is a build machine for iOS Unity application with main development happening on a PC. Don't care about iMessage.

It is stable and fast, particularly compared to my 3yr MacBook Pro.

As a final caution, do be aware of the silver heatsink on the motherboard. I could not use a single 140mm CPU cooler due to the height of the heatsinks. Likely a combination of the case/motherboard, but caused me problems. Next build I am going with a larger case...

Thank you for the advice! Its good to see that you were able to get the Kabylake processor to work without issue.

So being that my motherboard (ASUS STRIX Z270G) has on-board Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, do you think there is a chance it will be workable? I am also using the M.2 SSD slot on the board as well, I assume that BIOS will recognize that without issue.

As I get closer to the build your links will become very helpful, and I will be saving those!

It looks like it will be a great build.

If you will be using NVMe SSDs, be sure to check this thread on how to get them workinging macOS: [Guide] HackrNVMeFamily co-existence with IONVMeFamily using class-code spoof | tonymacx86.com

I don't know which chipset the included Wifi/Bluetooth card uses, but in most cases, included cards don't work with macOS. You can replace them with compatible cards pretty easily. Assuming it's an M.2 Wifi/Bluetooth card, Dell DW1560 and DW1830 cards can be made to work (there are others that work as well, but I don't remember the models).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back