Graphics
Radeon 5770
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, i'm pretty sure this build will be fine as it largely mirrors the 'CustoMac Pro'. Just making sure i'm not making any bonehead purchases..

My big question (besides a thumbs up on the build) is:

I haven't been able to find anything definitive that says the XFX 5770 card im looking at: (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150501) will successfully run a 24" Cinema Display (my only monitor) through the miniDP. I'm hoping to use the iBoot + Multibeast without too much extra fiddling. Can i bank on support for the cinema display?

Here's what i'm planning:

GA-X58A-UD3R
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 Radeon HD 5770 1GB
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Antec Sonata Elite Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower

Thanks for any input. As far as i can tell from my time here so far, the Tonymac community is awesome!

Should be fine.

I would go with a different video card. The card that you linked to is not a referrence card, which could cause problems. I would go with this card instead. Since your going to be connecting a 24" Apple Cinema Display (lucky) use this adapter to connect the monitor to the video card.

Also, you may want to look into either getting the Cooler Master 212+ cooler or the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

Thanks Dr. Who. That video card looks like a better option. I hate to use any adapters, but i guess one that isn't changing technologies--only size--should be alright. Have you heard of anybody having issues running a cinema display through a cheap little adapter like that one? I'll shoot for the coolermaster 212+ as well.

And the XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 should be easy to get going with a standard iBoot+Multibeast installation?

Thanks!

I haven't heard of anyone having any issues with that adapter, but then again I don't know anyone with a 24" Apple Display (or 27" display). The card that I linked to is a reference card, everything should go smoothly.

Also you may want to look into the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B cooler.

Just an update for those wondering about running a cinema display:

I ended up going with the Gigabyte 5770
as it was recommended in the 'CustoMac Pro' build. The 24" cinema display works great, including the integrated speaker, with this adapter.

Thanks again Dr. Who!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back