4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. iMac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
This is my first time making a Hackintosh, and I'm trying to build it for under $600. I started with the Buyer's Guide, but found other parts for a lot cheaper than what's on the Guide.

Will my setup work?

Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6400
EVGA GeForce GT 720 2gb DDR3
Crucial Ballistic Sport 16 gb kit (2 x 8gb)
Wi-Fi card (for continuity and handoff): TP-LINK N900
Samsung 750 EVO - 250 GB (MZ-750250BW)
EVGA 500 W1
Rosewill Micro ATX Mini Tower SRM-01

If you're only going for the GT 720 you may as well use the processor's built-in HD 530 graphics, which will perform better according to Tom's Hardware's Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/. Otherwise your list looks good.

If you're only going for the GT 720 you may as well use the processor's built-in HD 530 graphics, which will perform better according to Tom's Hardware's Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...-2016-hierarchy-chart-by-toms-hardware.81325/. Otherwise your list looks good.

Have to note the inability to sleep using HD 530 and if you want to have two monitors connected, you have to start the computer with only one plugged in. Those are the reasons I am upgrading from HD 530 to GTX 750 Ti this weekend.

If I will have the inability to sleep with the integrated graphics, what’s the requirement for sleep? How little processing power do I need for sleep? I only plan on using one monitor so integrated shouldn’t be a problem. If I want to do a little Steam gaming on my computer, should I look into a better graphics processor?

Waking from sleep just is not currently working with Intel HD 530, it may come at some point. http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-hd530-sleeps-but-wont-wake.190929/

I am not a gamer so I have no idea about GPU processing power and that is why the iGPU would have been fine if sleep worked and it had better dual monitor support. Look at the Buyer's Guide. I think the minimum suggested is the GT 740.

If I will have the inability to sleep with the integrated graphics, what’s the requirement for sleep? How little processing power do I need for sleep? I only plan on using one monitor so integrated shouldn’t be a problem. If I want to do a little Steam gaming on my computer, should I look into a better graphics processor?

For gaming in either windows or OS X, go to the steam page for each game and check the System requirements. This will show the the recommended hardware. Use this as a base level for the best gaming experience and enjoyment. Some stuff will certainly run on low powered GPU models - but you can get something around a GT950 for several years on gaming a reasonable settings for many steam games. the latest blockbuster titles will need something closer to a GTX 960/970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back