Contribute
Register

First hackintosh, pls help with build assessment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

This is my first thread and indeed my first post on here. Pleased to meet you all. I am on my 6th year with my Late 2013 iMac and the machine is beginning to show its' age. I could theoretically upgrade the RAM and swap the HDD for an SSD, but considering the age of it, I've decided to build a completely new machine. I do not want to give up on macOS, but I am also not willing to spend tons of $ for new iMac/iMac Pro. I've been reading up on Hackintosh builds on this forum and online and have compiled a list of potential contenders for a build. This is where your expertise comes in. ;)

Purpose: Media consumption&gaming, some light video work as well
Justification for build: I need something strong that won't become severely outdated in 2 years&in need of swapping out parts every year

Processor: Intel Core i5-9400F
Processor cooling: SilentiumPC Spartan 3 PRO
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
GPU: Asus Radeon RX Vega 56 Arez Strix OC 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz 32GB
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W 80+ Gold
Network card: TP-Link Archer T6E AC1300 PCIe (I've seen a lot of threads with T8E mentioned but can't find it online in my country)
Case: NZXT H500

I'll also probably choose a 4K screen to go along with all of that. So, please tell me - how did I do? Would you improve the build in any specific areas? As I said, I'd love to not worry about it for a couple of years in terms of efficiency&performance. Working iMessage, Continuity etc. would be great too as I own an iPhone and an iPad as well.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

I am not an expert, but i would go for an 8th gen CPU considering its your first hack and there are still some problems with the 9th generation. Something like an 8600. 850W seems a bit overkill for your setup. 650W or even a good 550W supply should be enough.

I know, I was slightly overzealous when it comes to choosing the 850W. 650W will be enough I'd say. Also noted, I'll look around for 8th gen processors. Thanks for your help. :)

An updated question re: SSD - has anyone tried doing a hackintosh on Patriot Viper SSDs? I am finding it harder to find Samsung EVO 1TB SSD (dunno whether Samsung stopped making it or something) and I could get 2x1TB Patriot Viper SSD for the price of one Samsung 970 EVO. Would you say that I should take a risk or stick to Samsung for m.2 NVMe SSDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back