1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello everyone
I am a high school student who is building a Hackintosh for photo and video editing and other creative things. The programs that I use are Adobe Photoshop, After effects, Premiere pro, Lightroom, Logic Pro X, and Cinema 4D.
This is my first PC build but I have support from multiple friends who have been building computers for years.
So the plan is to get a working computer then add my graphic card, my monitor and my extra Hard drives for storage and scratch. I am still working for the money to build so I can only afford a certain amount of the build.
My friend from intel was able to get me a i7-4770K so I have piece of the puzzle.

Motherboard:
Currently I have been looking at GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC motherboard. Is there any issues with this motherboard? Is anything I should be aware of?

Ram:
Crucial Ballistix Sport LP vs Crucial Ballistix Sport vs Crucial Ballistix Sport XT? I know that I am going to start out with 16GB then I might possibly upgrade to 32GB.
Also clock speed and other ram speed things? I'm so confused and is it worth the extra money will I be able to see improvement in the usability of the programs that I listed above?

System Drive:
I have a m550 SSD for the system drive so I don't have any questions on that

Graphics Card:
I am looking at the GTX 770
I won't be purchasing this right away but what company is the best and should I get the 4GB or the 2GB? How much will that extra 2gb help me with video editing? making the playback more smooth?

Monitor: 27" IPS-ZERO-G Slim Monitor WQHD 2560x1440 - Dual Link DVI, VGA

A friend of mine has the 30 inch version and he loves it.

Case:
I want a cheap case that has good air flow, 3.0 usb on the front, and audio on the front.
It needs to be able to hold my gtx 770 card. I want to be able to hold multiple hard drives so having 2 2.5 internal and 3-4 3.5 internal bays would be good.
If you can give me some advice that would be great! I don't really care about how it looks

Power supply:
I think I need about 600-650w for this machine. Someday I might try over-clocking so will I need a more powerful power supply? Also modular vs semi modular vs regular? whats the difference? What one should I get?

Conclusion:
So I want to keep the price down as much as possible. If anyone has anything that would help that would be amazing!

Thank you so much!

Yeah with a 650w PSU you will be fine, just make sure it's haswell ready. Almost all major brands are. I have a TX 650 V2 and it has plenty of juice to run my system (i7-4770K OC @4.3 and GTX 770 4GB OC) I got the PNY becauses it was on sale, also read on this review, that has the better cooler of the bunch, also has lifetime warranty if you register the product within 1 month of purchase

Regarding the motherboard, well if you are not going to buy it right now I would suggest, keep an eye here on the forums for the upcoming builds, I guess there will be some builds with the new Z97X-SOC, so that will put you a bit future proof. But if you want to get it earlier than some confirmed builds. You can read this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...uild-ga-z87x-oc-i7-4770k-hd4600-gt-640-a.html so you can get all the information on how to do the installation, and what problems you may face and how to fix them.

On the ram side, i can't give you much advice (i have only 8gb), hope someone can help you there.

Good luck with the build.

Thank you for advice. If anyone has anything else to add please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back