Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

So this is my first post ever here. I have been looking here a few weeks just never made an account.
And i have build pc´s before.
I just wanted to know if the hardware i have picked will be fairly easy for me to setup to run both mac os x and windows.

Hardware list:
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI
CPU= Intel Core i5-4670K
Graphics Card= EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB PhysX CUDA
RAM= HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz 8GB
Drives= Crucial MX100 SSD 256GB and WD Desktop Green 2TB
Power Supply= Cooler Master B600, 600W PSU
Case= Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey

(Some of the names might be different for you cause i just copy pasted from a Norwegian website where i will order from)

So i need to know if there is something missing too.
I am fairly good with computers and i learn pretty quick. And it also helps with some googling and forum help.

If there is some parts that just seem to be a over kill or will just bottleneck my full build please tell me.

Hi

So this is my first post ever here. I have been looking here a few weeks just never made an account.
And i have build pc´s before.
I just wanted to know if the hardware i have picked will be fairly easy for me to setup to run both mac os x and windows.

I can only give you my advice for what I know.

As for Windows you are good to go. There will be no problems with installing and running Windows on that setup.

As for OSX, well thats another story. Everything looks fine except the Motherboard. I am using 2 different 8 series boards and working great but unless I have just missed the information, AFAIK OSX does not have 9 series support as of yet.

Now I may be wrong and if so someone will correct me and then we will both know the answer but like I said I can only give my knowledge.

If there is some parts that just seem to be a over kill or will just bottleneck my full build please tell me.

Now as for the rest of the hardware, what exactly is your needs with OSX? Only knowing what you intend to do will help determine if there is overkill or not.

As for Windows you are good to go. There will be no problems with installing and running Windows on that setup.

As for OSX, well thats another story. Everything looks fine except the Motherboard. I am using 2 different 8 series boards and working great but unless I have just missed the information, AFAIK OSX does not have 9 series support as of yet.

Ok, i found this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
If i don't remember correctly thats the boards that recommended to use in many builds.

Now as for the rest of the hardware, what exactly is your needs with OSX? Only knowing what you intend to do will help determine if there is overkill or not.

I will use most of the power for the windows gaming part. And most work/ web surfing on the mac osx.
I also try to keep it as budget friendly as possible.

And one last thing. Should i buy 8gb or 16gb ram? I want it to be good in a few years. And if i chose 8gb should i get a 1 stick or 2 stick 4gb each?

Ok, i found this motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H
If i don't remember correctly thats the boards that recommended to use in many builds.

Well the issue there is that motherboard is also a 9 series MB. The series is the first number in the Intel model. eg. Z77 is 7 Series for Ivy Bridge, Z87 is 8 Series for Haswell, and Z97 is 9 Series for Haswell/Broadwell.

The issue is that currently OSX has limited support for Series 9 built in. There are workarounds but I am not sure how stable (or unstable) OSX will be with them implemented. Likely the full support will be added with the release of Yosemite this fall but again I don't know.

If you are building soon and want to get the hardware, it is best to look at the June Buyer's Guide for known compatible hardware. There is even a recommendation to stay with 8 series until full support is added for series 9. You can go with the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H or Gigabyte GA-Z87-UD3H and not have to change anything else.

If you really want a 9 series (and can live with the workarounds until full support is added) then thats what I recommend you do but realize the 9 series is Broadwell CPU oriented. Which means that the full potential of the hardware will only be achieved with a Broadwell CPU. Yes it will work well with Haswell but remember the price will be as much for a Broadwell later if you wish to upgrade.

I will use most of the power for the windows gaming part. And most work/ web surfing on the mac osx.
I also try to keep it as budget friendly as possible.

And one last thing. Should i buy 8gb or 16gb ram? I want it to be good in a few years. And if i chose 8gb should i get a 1 stick or 2 stick 4gb each?

As for gaming on Windows there is more than enough power for most if not all games. OSX will be just as, if not more powerful (as the OS is more powerful than Windows). I use my CustoMac Pro for Video Editing and Compiling code. I use windows for a few games that are not Mac compatible so you will be fine with anything you use OSX for.

As for the RAM, IF you have it in your budget go ahead and drop 16 GB in the machine, 2 X 8 GB Sticks. 16 GB will be plenty for almost anything for some time to come. If you go with 8 GB then get 2 X 4 GB sticks. Dual channel is always faster than single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back