Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Purpose:
I am using this machine for mostly audio recording/editing and minor video editing (possibly more in the future, depending on GPU selection). Running Logic Pro X with external thunderbolt interfaces.

Absolute Requirements:
Thunderbolt 3 and use of 2-3 Displays. A machine that will be as stable as possible and last for 5+ years.
Only planning on annual software updates.

Following the build guides, this is where I am at so far:
  • Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (I could go 32GB, but not sure if its necessary?)
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (This will hold the OS and all software- external thunderbolt drives are usually used during sessions)
  • Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (for later expansion)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter (this is totally unnecessary but would give wifi/bluetooth compatibility?)
As far as a GPU is concerned, I am thinking models GTX 960 to 980 - would like to stay within $500 but if its good enough, i don't mind paying more to have a machine that doesn't have to be updated for a good while.
Or I can just go with the suggested 950 and skip on extensive video editing - for compatibilities sake.

Any help/suggestion is appreciated!

Hi,

I had a GTX 970 up and running in my Mac Pro.
You just need to install the Nvidia Web Drivers for Mac. As far as I read, this will also be the case for a Hackintosh.

Nvidia Web Drivers are usually published a few weeks after an OS update.
The downside is that you can only update the Nvidia Web Driver after the system was updated. I always had to remote into my machine to install the new Web Driver because my screen stayed black.

Hi,

I had a GTX 970 up and running in my Mac Pro.
You just need to install the Nvidia Web Drivers for Mac. As far as I read, this will also be the case for a Hackintosh.

Nvidia Web Drivers are usually published a few weeks after an OS update.
The downside is that you can only update the Nvidia Web Driver after the system was updated. I always had to remote into my machine to install the new Web Driver because my screen stayed black.

Good to know! Thank you!

You can definitely get a good card for your budget, especially because of the new 100series GPUs that came out. You can actually find a GTX 970 for under $250 if you look around. I'm waiting to see if Nvidia will release drivers for the 100series GPUs.

You can definitely get a good card for your budget, especially because of the new 100series GPUs that came out. You can actually find a GTX 970 for under $250 if you look around. I'm waiting to see if Nvidia will release drivers for the 100series GPUs.

What I decided to do is purchase a GTX1070 8GB for my gaming PC - I will take the GTX970 out of there and put it in the Hack.

Now Ive run into the problem that I cannot find a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
So I need to find a new mobo that will allow me to use Thunderbolt 3

The Gigsbyte site has a list of TB 3 motherboards that can use the Gigabyte Alpine-Ridge card and a bios update to use Thunderbolt 3

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5906&dl=#ov

Are you currently using TB3 with your setup? I was looking at the GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 since it has USB-C already on the board... I read earlier that someone is successfully using this with the same TB audio interface I have.

Im open to anything as long as its functional/stable and will have some longevity.

Are you currently using TB3 with your setup? I was looking at the GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 since it has USB-C already on the board... I read earlier that someone is successfully using this with the same TB audio interface I have.

Im open to anything as long as its functional/stable and will have some longevity.

No, not yet. I have the GA z170x UD3 and I'm trying to find the Alpine-Ridge PCIe card but there are very few in the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back