Graphics
GTX 770 DCUII
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just wanna make sure if my upgrade would be compatible or maybe my system is already compatible

CPU: i5-4670K Haswell 3.5ghz
Cooling System: Corsair H110
MB: Asus ROG Maximus VI Hero
  • Upgrading to Maximus VII Hero (Z97 Chipset)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 1600
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Windows 8.1 Pro)
  • Getting an 850 Pro or Evo 128gb (Mac OS)
Storage: Western Digital Black Series 2TB 7200rpm 64mb cache
GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
  • Upgrading to an EVGA GTX 970 FTW
PSU: EVGA Supernova Nex 750 G

I've read that Z97 motherboards are backwards compatible to the Z87 processors. I just want to confirm if that was indeed true. While I've been reading the forums and guides over here at tonymacx86. I believe that the GTX 970 won't be really a big proplem but I don't really have that much of a budget so will my current GTX 770 be compatible and won't pose much of a problem? Also will a 128GB SSD be enough or should I go for 256GB?

This is my first post btw, Thanks for the advance help guys!

I have a similar setup. I am currently running the Asus Maximus VI Formula (z87) and everything works perfect except my Wifi card but thats a different story. Everything looks like it should work but I am not sure about the Z97 board. I will do some research and come back with what I find.

EDIT: May I ask why your upgrading your mobo? There really is no reason to but ofc, if you would like too, that's not for me to say lol.

Last time I checked it seems complicated with the Maximus VI and that it would be only easier with Gigabyte mobo's. Then I checked back with the buyer's guide after a few months of not checking it. I saw that Maximus VII is an option now, so I thought I'll need to upgrade it. And also I don't wanna tinker with the kernel and stuffs, seems pretty complicated for me. But I would still like to know how you got your's up and running and I might be able to do it with the current mobo I have. Also the wifi wouldn't be a problem since I use an ethernet cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back