Contribute
Register

First Hackintosh for Pro Audio, several options!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The i7-3770k is going to be a solid processor (I've picked the same one for my audio/gaming build)
Also the Samsung 840 Pro is apparently the best SSD for performance/price, again, im using it in my build too.

The corsair vengeance low profile memory is the correct choice for you too, I have a few tips on that from my research. Get 2x8GB DIMMS for the ram (basically two RAM sticks that are 8GB each and not 4 sticks which are 4GB each) because each stick uses 1.5V, you get more power efficiency by using 2 sticks instead of four, it gives you more room for expansion (you can add more sticks later on) and theres less parts for something to to go wrong. Also make sure the memory is 1600MHZ as thats what is compatible with the motherboard (unless its over-clocked to 2400mhz from what I read)

I have some advice on coolers for you. If you pick a water cooler, then its still going to come with a fan/s for the radiator. The stock coolers are said to be loud, and people replace them with Noctua fans. Noctua fans are said to be the best fans for performance and quietness. They are not exactly cheap and they don't look particularly nice, but they offer the best performance for noise and cooling on the market.

Your most likely be going to use 120mm fans in your case, so the best 120mm Noctua fan is the Noctua NF-F12 PWM. You can use it for case cooling and radiator cooling.
If you need a 140MM fan, then the best one is the Noctua NF-A14 PWM. If you do your research, you might see that NF-A15 PWM is the best fan, but it's designed for CPU coolers that can take the 140x150 design, so for radiators the NF-A14 PWM are square shaped, and best for cooler radiators.

If you don't mind the colours and want to spend abit extra on fans, then Noctua are the best fans on the market.

Hi! thanks! as I´ve read, the Z77N has only 2 memory slots! how do you install for DIMMs? on the other side, you´re talking about getting a water cooling system plus a fan? I´ve also thought about that, getting then the H80i as my water cooling system, and then replacing the front fan of the Prodigy with a better, quieter, cooler fan!

What about the Noctua stuff for water cooling? I´ve read that even though the H80i is the most secure bet, Noctua is much more quiet and has a better performance, don´t know if I can use a water cooling Noctua for the Processor, and another Noctua to replace the front fan, and then connect both of them creating a system I can actually manage from the computer, and checking it on the frond LCD (am I asking too much? :p)

I´ve been reading a comparison between the H60, H80i and H100i, the H80i is actually the winner between the 3 of them in performance, however I had a couple of questions for you, I´ve read it has a Corsair Link SW to control and set-up how it works, can you use that running OS X?, it also says that it comes with 2 Corsair Link ports, one to connect to the Motherboard, the other one to connect to another Corsair Link device, I actually wanted to install one of those LCD screen s on the front of my Hackintosh to check temperatures and all, is that possible with OS X?

About the Power Supply, I don´t mind to spend a bit more if its reaally quiet and energy saving, would you still go with the TX650 under these circunstances? thanks!!

Corsair Link is an external piece of hardware you have to buy to set it all up. Personally, I wouldn't use this, and it certainly wont work in OSX, only in windows. Also, the DIMM is what the chip is called. If the motherboard only has two ram sockets, then buy what you think you'll need (maybe 32GB which is the max the motherboard supports and if your using 64 bit applications, they will be able to use all of that if necessary, but overall 16GB would be fine)

Iv'e seen those screens you can use to monitor your temps, it basically works independently from the OS. You stick on temperature nodes on your components, and you connect the screen to your fans (assuming you want to control your fans) and the display will give you a constant readout of temps and fan speed. I think some even change automatically for you. This is a good option, and I don't see how it would affect OSX because its independent from the OS, so it should be perfectly safe. Make sure you double check and do research, im pretty much in the same situation as you in terms of building and understanding the components. :)

Now, about power supplies. Power supplies are generally quite quiet. You want to make sure you go with a fully modular power supply, because it makes cable management easier and optimises your airflow in your case, and just makes everything easier overall. I would recommend a slightly higher wattage power supply for this build. You will be hitting about 400 watts or so, and when you go to add some extra drives/fan etc, that will start to rise and your PSU is going to be more taxed. Also, because you have selected an i7 3770K, it is an unlocked processor so you can over-clock it, meaning you are going to need more power to keep things stable. Everywhere you look, people are saying to always overkill your power supply, choose a PSU that is quite abit over the wattage you need for the simple reasons of upgradability and safety. Just look for a high wattage modular PSU that boasts to be extra quiet.

Also, you get different ratings for power supplies. You can get bronze,silver,gold and platinum power supplies. The rating is the efficiency the power supply runs at, bronze being the lowest and platinum being the hgihest. Do a quick google saerch and you will get very detailed explanations.

For my build I'm choosing a Corsair AX860 modular PSU, which is a Platinum rated PSU. Im going to be using an i7 3770K and probably a single GTX 680, so 860Watts is way more than I need (my system would probably be running at about 600/650 watts) but I want to be safe and sure that I'm going to be getting more than enough power, just in case the power rate fluctuates and something needs some extra juice! Plus I have more room for upgradability, if I add more fans, more had drives, more memory, then I should have enough power. If I add an extra video card however, then I probably wont have enough power for stability, but I don't plan on doing that and just getting a beast single gpu to power one monitor.

What about the Noctua stuff for water cooling? I´ve read that even though the H80i is the most secure bet, Noctua is much more quiet and has a better performance, don´t know if I can use a water cooling Noctua for the Processor, and another Noctua to replace the front fan, and then connect both of them creating a system I can actually manage from the computer, and checking it on the frond LCD (am I asking too much? :p)

I think your mixing up the Noctua Fans the Corsair H80i as to what they do. Noctua don't make water coolers, they make fan's and fan based cpu coolers, the best ones in the market in fact. Any water cooler has a radiator to take the heat away from the cpu, and that radiator uses fans on it too cool it. Now the fans on the H80i radiator are said to be very loud, but if you replace those stock fans on the corsair h80i radiator with Noctua fans, you'll get much better performance and much quieter operation. If you replace ALL your fans with Noctua fans, then your system overall will be cooler and quieter than if you kept those stock fans in. There are also Corsair H55 and H50 quiet coolers, which are even more quiet than their others, but generally adding a Noctua fan will be even quieter.

Also, I would recommend a Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD. They offer the best performance/price ratio on the market and are recommended by a lot of people. I wouldn't use a sandisk SSD, they only make good memory cards :lolno:
For the HDD, i'd recommend a WD Black for performance. DO NOT choose a WD green as they always have trouble with OSX not waking properly, and the drives shut down a lot and they are not very fast. A velociraptor HDD will be noisy as its 10000 RPM, and it costs alot aswell, but if you really need that extra performance then thats up to you.

Hope this helps.

Ok, so I´ve decided myself for the AX760i PSU, I know it costs almost what my Motherboard costs, but its really power efficient, plus that zero-rpm fan function (or whatever its called) is very attractive.

SO here´s what I´ve got so far:

- Bitfenix Prodigy White
- Corsair Vengeance 16gb Low Profile
- Gigabit Z77N Mobo
- i7 3770K
- Corsair AX 760i PSU
- 1xSamsung 840PRO 128gb SSD
- 2x WD VelociRaptor SATA III 500gb 10000rpm

I know, looks like the MacMini Deluxe hack on Vitamins LOL, here´s what I´m still needing:

Cooling system that allows me extreme overclocking under veeery low noise rates, thinking on installing water cooling for the Processor, replacing the front fan, but still don´t know how I should install it, I mean, what´s the best idea? pulling air in from the front and throwing it out from the back? what would you guys recommend? I wa looking at the Noctua cooling systems on their webpage, they look HUGE though (the radiator thickness I mean) I don´t know if that would fit on the prodigy :shifty:

Corsair Link is an external piece of hardware you have to buy to set it all up. Personally, I wouldn't use this, and it certainly wont work in OSX, only in windows. Also, the DIMM is what the chip is called. If the motherboard only has two ram sockets, then buy what you think you'll need (maybe 32GB which is the max the motherboard supports and if your using 64 bit applications, they will be able to use all of that if necessary, but overall 16GB would be fine)

Iv'e seen those screens you can use to monitor your temps, it basically works independently from the OS. You stick on temperature nodes on your components, and you connect the screen to your fans (assuming you want to control your fans) and the display will give you a constant readout of temps and fan speed. I think some even change automatically for you. This is a good option, and I don't see how it would affect OSX because its independent from the OS, so it should be perfectly safe. Make sure you double check and do research, im pretty much in the same situation as you in terms of building and understanding the components. :)

Now, about power supplies. Power supplies are generally quite quiet. You want to make sure you go with a fully modular power supply, because it makes cable management easier and optimises your airflow in your case, and just makes everything easier overall. I would recommend a slightly higher wattage power supply for this build. You will be hitting about 400 watts or so, and when you go to add some extra drives/fan etc, that will start to rise and your PSU is going to be more taxed. Also, because you have selected an i7 3770K, it is an unlocked processor so you can over-clock it, meaning you are going to need more power to keep things stable. Everywhere you look, people are saying to always overkill your power supply, choose a PSU that is quite abit over the wattage you need for the simple reasons of upgradability and safety. Just look for a high wattage modular PSU that boasts to be extra quiet.

Also, you get different ratings for power supplies. You can get bronze,silver,gold and platinum power supplies. The rating is the efficiency the power supply runs at, bronze being the lowest and platinum being the hgihest. Do a quick google saerch and you will get very detailed explanations.

For my build I'm choosing a Corsair AX860 modular PSU, which is a Platinum rated PSU. Im going to be using an i7 3770K and probably a single GTX 680, so 860Watts is way more than I need (my system would probably be running at about 600/650 watts) but I want to be safe and sure that I'm going to be getting more than enough power, just in case the power rate fluctuates and something needs some extra juice! Plus I have more room for upgradability, if I add more fans, more had drives, more memory, then I should have enough power. If I add an extra video card however, then I probably wont have enough power for stability, but I don't plan on doing that and just getting a beast single gpu to power one monitor.

I think your mixing up the Noctua Fans the Corsair H80i as to what they do. Noctua don't make water coolers, they make fan's and fan based cpu coolers, the best ones in the market in fact. Any water cooler has a radiator to take the heat away from the cpu, and that radiator uses fans on it too cool it. Now the fans on the H80i radiator are said to be very loud, but if you replace those stock fans on the corsair h80i radiator with Noctua fans, you'll get much better performance and much quieter operation. If you replace ALL your fans with Noctua fans, then your system overall will be cooler and quieter than if you kept those stock fans in. There are also Corsair H55 and H50 quiet coolers, which are even more quiet than their others, but generally adding a Noctua fan will be even quieter.

Also, I would recommend a Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD. They offer the best performance/price ratio on the market and are recommended by a lot of people. I wouldn't use a sandisk SSD, they only make good memory cards :lolno:
For the HDD, i'd recommend a WD Black for performance. DO NOT choose a WD green as they always have trouble with OSX not waking properly, and the drives shut down a lot and they are not very fast. A velociraptor HDD will be noisy as its 10000 RPM, and it costs alot aswell, but if you really need that extra performance then thats up to you.

Hope this helps.

Can´t believe we´re on the same page, actually shows I´ve been doing my HW :D

I´ve chosen that SSd as you can see, and chose also an AX PSU, on the other hand you are right, I was mixing stuff up, so if I get the H80i, which would be the Noctua fan for the replacement? and how would you laay it out inside?, on the other side, that "stand-alone" controller, would you know which one would work with the Corsair stuff? also the PSU has the same Corsair Link system, as I read, the idea is for one to be able to monitor everything either from the SW nor from the controller. Thank you very much! can´t imagine how much of a help is this for me :D:thumbup:

OOps, my bad about the SSD, glad to see you are picking that one!
But about storage, are you going for the velociraptor 10000RPM. It seems a lot to pay, when you could just get two WD Black or Red drives and put them in RAID for even faster performance and lower cost than the velociraptor (I think WD Red drives are better for RAID configurations)

The best Noctua Fan to replace the STOCK RADIATOR FAN on the Corsair H80i would be the Noctua NF-F12PWM fan. You would be taking off the stock fans and putting on the noctua fans in their place, so it would lay out the same. You can use the stock fans for something else.

This guy shows TWO noctua fans on the h80i radiator, but if your using the prodigy case, you will probably only need one fan (thats probably all that would fit) to exhaust all that hot air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FleRNqriUio

Im not very sure about corsair link. I do know that it allows you to monitor your power and control your fan speed and lights inside of your OS, so it wont work in OSX but it'll work in windows. Depending on which one you get, one is only for fans, one is only for lights, or you can get both in a whole pack.
All in all, it just adds more cost and it would probably look a lot nice and work a lot better if you bought something like a drive bay temp monitor and fan controller, like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006Z8LB6S/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This guy shows and explains more about it, and shows you more on the corsair fan control and lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64d88cGYAoo

Glad I can help. The forum has been pretty dead today, nobodies commenting much so I'm taking matters into my own hands and helping out.

OOps, my bad about the SSD, glad to see you are picking that one!
But about storage, are you going for the velociraptor 10000RPM. It seems a lot to pay, when you could just get two WD Black or Red drives and put them in RAID for even faster performance and lower cost than the velociraptor (I think WD Red drives are better for RAID configurations)

The best Noctua Fan to replace the STOCK RADIATOR FAN on the Corsair H80i would be the Noctua NF-F12PWM fan. You would be taking off the stock fans and putting on the noctua fans in their place, so it would lay out the same. You can use the stock fans for something else.

This guy shows TWO noctua fans on the h80i radiator, but if your using the prodigy case, you will probably only need one fan (thats probably all that would fit) to exhaust all that hot air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FleRNqriUio

Im not very sure about corsair link. I do know that it allows you to monitor your power and control your fan speed and lights inside of your OS, so it wont work in OSX but it'll work in windows. Depending on which one you get, one is only for fans, one is only for lights, or you can get both in a whole pack.
All in all, it just adds more cost and it would probably look a lot nice and work a lot better if you bought something like a drive bay temp monitor and fan controller, like this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006Z8LB6S/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This guy shows and explains more about it, and shows you more on the corsair fan control and lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64d88cGYAoo

Glad I can help. The forum has been pretty dead today, nobodies commenting much so I'm taking matters into my own hands and helping out.

I got the velociraptors ay an amazing price, was decided on not getting anyning under 10000rpms, thats why I took them, and was actually thinking on get two partitions pn the SSD, pn smaller for windows and the other one for the OS X, dont know if thats possible though.

about the Corsair link, If I can only fit one fan of the H80i on the Prodigy, does it really make sance to buy the H80i over the H60? And the fans on the water cooling system pull the air out, so then i'd change the front fan also for a Noctua to pull fresh air back in, and would put another one on the top to keep pulling more...? Which fans would you recommend for this? Are there any monitor and fan controller for multiple fans/cooling systems?

The other thing, if im not gonna be able to actuslly monitor the PSI outside the SE app, then i think i'd get the AX760 instead of the 760i I guess

I got the velociraptors ay an amazing price, was decided on not getting anyning under 10000rpms, thats why I took them, and was actually thinking on get two partitions pn the SSD, pn smaller for windows and the other one for the OS X, dont know if thats possible though.

about the Corsair link, If I can only fit one fan of the H80i on the Prodigy, does it really make sance to buy the H80i over the H60? And the fans on the water cooling system pull the air out, so then i'd change the front fan also for a Noctua to pull fresh air back in, and would put another one on the top to keep pulling more...? Which fans would you recommend for this? Are there any monitor and fan controller for multiple fans/cooling systems?

The other thing, if im not gonna be able to actuslly monitor the PSI outside the SE app, then i think i'd get the AX760 instead of the 760i I guess

If you got the velociraptors at a good price, then kudos to you :)
You can make two partitions on an SSD for windows/mac, but you have to install Mac OSX first before installing windows (you would install windows through bootcamp on OSX, which makes it super easy to get it all to work. It will even download all the drivers for windows, and give you the mac volume pop up display thing on windows)

I personally think the corsair link thing wont be a good idea for a hackintosh. Best to save your money and buy a AX760 instead of a AX760i, and put that money towards one of those drive bay fan controllers, or even a touch screen fan controller and temp monitor. That way you have a universal solution for cooling across OSX and windows.

A very detailed thread about the H80i positioning for your case (pictures included)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23543652

I'd say for your cooling setup,you want to have hot air going out rather than going in. The prodigy can hold 1x 120mm/140mm fan at the rear, 2x 120mm fans at the top, and 2x 120mm fans or 1x 140/180/200/230mm fan in the front. The case itself comes with 2x 120mm fans, one for the front and one for the back (but they would probably be the same0

To get the most out of your money, your h80i radiator would be mounted on the back, with the Noctua fan pulling in cold air and another fan pushing hot air from the radiator. This is what corsair recommends - http://blog.corsair.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Push-pull-image.png Maybe it would be worth getting 2 Noctua 120MM Fans to achieve this configuration.
You could then you could install the 2x supplied 120MM fans that come with the prodigy on the top of the case, or put them at the front to pull in air.

Altogether, you'll have 2x 120MM top free fan spaces and 2x 120MM or 1x 140/180/200/230mm front free fan spaces, so you might want to buy 1x Noctua NF-A15 PWM (which is a 140MM and not a 1200MM which actually has a 150MM spacing that will still mount to a 140MM size, making it perfect to put in the front because you will gain less noise and more air) fan to pull air in from the front, and put in the 2x supplied prodigy fans on the top. OR, you could put 1 prodigy fan on the front and one in the top. Its all up to you.

Really hope this helps you. Hopefully its not too confusing. Just read it over and over till you understand.

Edit: If you choose the H60 or H80i, I'm pretty you will be able to fit two fans on either side of the radiator. The H60 is the newer version, it uses better pipes to prevent evaporation and is overall quieter than the H80i. It also doesn't have the fancy glowing lights the H80i has, which saves on cost (with the prodigy case, you wont see the fancy lights on the H80i)

If you got the velociraptors at a good price, then kudos to you :)
You can make two partitions on an SSD for windows/mac, but you have to install Mac OSX first before installing windows (you would install windows through bootcamp on OSX, which makes it super easy to get it all to work. It will even download all the drivers for windows, and give you the mac volume pop up display thing on windows)

I personally think the corsair link thing wont be a good idea for a hackintosh. Best to save your money and buy a AX760 instead of a AX760i, and put that money towards one of those drive bay fan controllers, or even a touch screen fan controller and temp monitor. That way you have a universal solution for cooling across OSX and windows.

A very detailed thread about the H80i positioning for your case (pictures included)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23543652

I'd say for your cooling setup,you want to have hot air going out rather than going in. The prodigy can hold 1x 120mm/140mm fan at the rear, 2x 120mm fans at the top, and 2x 120mm fans or 1x 140/180/200/230mm fan in the front. The case itself comes with 2x 120mm fans, one for the front and one for the back (but they would probably be the same0

To get the most out of your money, your h80i radiator would be mounted on the back, with the Noctua fan pulling in cold air and another fan pushing hot air from the radiator. This is what corsair recommends - http://blog.corsair.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Push-pull-image.png Maybe it would be worth getting 2 Noctua 120MM Fans to achieve this configuration.
You could then you could install the 2x supplied 120MM fans that come with the prodigy on the top of the case, or put them at the front to pull in air.

Altogether, you'll have 2x 120MM top free fan spaces and 2x 120MM or 1x 140/180/200/230mm front free fan spaces, so you might want to buy 1x Noctua NF-A15 PWM (which is a 140MM and not a 1200MM which actually has a 150MM spacing that will still mount to a 140MM size, making it perfect to put in the front because you will gain less noise and more air) fan to pull air in from the front, and put in the 2x supplied prodigy fans on the top. OR, you could put 1 prodigy fan on the front and one in the top. Its all up to you.

Really hope this helps you. Hopefully its not too confusing. Just read it over and over till you understand.

Edit: If you choose the H60 or H80i, I'm pretty you will be able to fit two fans on either side of the radiator. The H60 is the newer version, it uses better pipes to prevent evaporation and is overall quieter than the H80i. It also doesn't have the fancy glowing lights the H80i has, which saves on cost (with the prodigy case, you wont see the fancy lights on the H80i)

You know, I was almost decided for the H80i ´til you started speaking about the fancy lights and how the H60 is quietier, what I like of the H80i is the double fan configuration, I´m actually taking your advice and replacing both, that should make it quietier right? on the other side on the tests I´ve read the H80i has an overall better performance (the db difference lstays between 5-6db between the H6ß and H80i, but acording to what you said earlier on, the Noctua fans are much quietier and silent).

My idea was to get the H80i, replace both fans, and put it in the back as you described, then get the NF-A15 for the front panel to pull fresh air inside, and maybe (depending on the noiseratio- taking in count its a Studio Computer) putting then the two Corsair fans on top to also pull fresh air inside, what do you think?? Plus I´d get the standalone controller to be installed on the optical drive space, to take advantage of all of its potencial.

About the PSU, finally I decided to go for the AX760 instead of the AX760i, It performs a bit better than the AXi in general Benchmarks, plus thinking about it, I don´t really mind of tweaking stuff from the PSU, I´d actually just let it work as its supposed to.

The other thing is, if I´m investing on a good cooling system, I´d like to invest on a controller that might let me control several fans, does that even exist? ;) thanks! :thumbup:

You know, I was almost decided for the H80i ´til you started speaking about the fancy lights and how the H60 is quietier, what I like of the H80i is the double fan configuration, I´m actually taking your advice and replacing both, that should make it quietier right? on the other side on the tests I´ve read the H80i has an overall better performance (the db difference lstays between 5-6db between the H6ß and H80i, but acording to what you said earlier on, the Noctua fans are much quietier and silent).

My idea was to get the H80i, replace both fans, and put it in the back as you described, then get the NF-A15 for the front panel to pull fresh air inside, and maybe (depending on the noiseratio- taking in count its a Studio Computer) putting then the two Corsair fans on top to also pull fresh air inside, what do you think?? Plus I´d get the standalone controller to be installed on the optical drive space, to take advantage of all of its potencial.

About the PSU, finally I decided to go for the AX760 instead of the AX760i, It performs a bit better than the AXi in general Benchmarks, plus thinking about it, I don´t really mind of tweaking stuff from the PSU, I´d actually just let it work as its supposed to.

The other thing is, if I´m investing on a good cooling system, I´d like to invest on a controller that might let me control several fans, does that even exist? ;) thanks! :thumbup:

Great job choosing the PSU. I was about to pick the AX 760i but I realised that the i included corsair link, so I would be wasting my money! It should be more than enough to power everything, nice and stable.

You can put two fans on the H60. The H60's radiator is the same size of the previous generation H50. However, the H60 has a new, upgraded water block that allows for more efficient flow. It also has the adjustable 90 degree connectors we've seen on the H70 making installation easier. Corsair provides a single 120mm 1700RPM PWM fan. The inclusion of a PWM fan is a nice touch since most motherboards have the needed 4-pin connector and have BIOS settings for easy fan speed control. This means the cooler can be virtually silent when idle, but ramp up the RPMs (and therefore noise) as needed. As mentioned, the H60 only includes one fan, but you can add a second fan for a push/pull configuration. You might need to buy some extra screws for it.

I personally would go for the H60, buy one Noctua (the smaller 120mm one) and replace the stock corsair fan, then you wont have two stock loud corsair fans becoming wasted if you bought the h80i. People have said adding two fans on the radiator doesn't improve their temps, maybe a 1 or 2 degree drop, so its not worth spending the extra cash to make more noise and not get any real difference. The H60 will be more than sufficient, and thanks to its improved efficiency and with your addition of a Noctua fan, you should be getting really good temperatures with very little noise! Plus the H60 is cheaper, and has less to go wrong with it, so you can put that cash towards the Noctua fan!

I found out that Noctua are going to be releasing a 200MM fan soon, so I would hold out till they release it. I would use the two Betfinx Prodigy fans that come with the case, put one at the top and put one in the front. You can then do whatever you'd like with the corsair stock cooler. Or if you want to spend the money and get rid of the prodigy fans and corsair fan (which will probably make alot of noise), then get two more Noctua fans (again, the same 120MM ones) and put one on the top and one in the front. When Noctua release their 200MM fan, then put that at the front and the two Noctua 120MM fans at the top.

Heres the link to the Noctua 200mm fan - http://www.eteknix.com/computex-noctua-developing-200mm-90mm-and-80mm-a-series-fans/

When Noctua release it, I'm going to be buying it to replace the 200MM fan in the Corsair Carbide 500R (the case im going to get for my build)

Now, about the fan controllers. You can get fan controllers that allow you to monitor and change the temps of a max of 6 fans per unit. Personally, I think the touch screen fan controllers are a massive gimmick, because it takes way to long to set the fan speed. You have to keep pressing the touchscreen, whereas if you went with a dial based fan controller, it'll be a lot quicker and more precise to change the speed of the fans rather than having to keep increasing the fans slowly one by one with a cheap and unresponsive touch screen.

This one is nice, because you have a slow, medium and high setting for each one of the 6 fans it supports. You can change the colours of the LED's and it looks like a solid choce.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002HTYR5G/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This is a very classy looking fan controller. It uses all dials for very precise fan speed settings.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000S0UOBW/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This controller allows you to control 3 fans with dials, but gives you a readout of the RPM and temperature of each fan and node. You could get two of these for a constant readout of your temps. The only downside is that it gives you a readout of only one fan, you have to manually press a button to see the temperature of another fan.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GNP6W8/?tag=tonymacx86-21

This controller allows you to control 4 fans with dials, each giving its own temperature readout. Might be a good option to get two, but then you would have some controls with no readouts unless you checked to see how many fans you can fit in your case, and had a load of 120MM fans instead of 1 large Noctua 200MM fan.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0045JAHAA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Another controller that allows you to control 4 fans with dials, each giving its own temperature readout, and you can even push in the dials for neatness if you so choose. This one is a newer version, and would probably be your best bet to get two of these, and do the maths and count how many fans would be in your case.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0062DEYGA/?tag=tonymacx86-21

A touch screen 5 fan controller with an 'intuitive' interface giving you a temp readout and rpm of on fan at a time. If you would want to change the fan speed of each fan, you would have to go through them one by one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002L16OMO/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Hope this helps again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back