Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, I am planning to build my first hackintosh in the next months, mainly for home recording/music production with Logic Pro X and Max MSP. I use a MOTU 828 mk2 USB as audio interface, I know it's old but I'm not planning to buy a new one at least for a couple of years. I will not use hundred of tracks or massive plugins but I would like it to run smoothly also when I'm scoring videos.
I can record acoustic instruments in a separate room (as i'm doing now with my old and noisy macbook unibody) but it will also be nice to be able to record in the room where the pc is: so a silent machine will be very appreciated.
It will also be my main computer for everyday use, I will use the old macbook as a second pc when I'm not at home.
I decided not to use a discrete graphic card as the most i will do with video will be watching movies (with video projector).
I read some threads and guides here, and I already have an idea of components to buy, it is basically a Customac Mini:

Case – Realan H80 (small, cheap and it seems well built)
Motherboard – Gigabyte GA-H270N-WIFI or Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI (they are almost the same price now on amazon)
No graphic card
CPU – Intel Core i5-7400 3Ghz 6mb
RAM – Crucial Ballistic Sport 16GB (or maybe 8GB will be enough?)
DRIVE – Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
CPU Cooler – Noctua NH-L9I
Power Supply – Mini-Box Pico PSU-160-XT+12v adapter
Wi-Fi Card – BCM94352Z
Monitor – HP22ES FullHD 21.5"
Keyboard and Mouse/trackpad – still looking around, maybe second hand Apple

Do you think it will be ok for my purposes? Did i miss anything? Any suggestion or advice?
Will my MOTU 828 mk2 USB will work on the Hackinstosh running High Sierra? (I found a thread about confirmed working audio interfaces but i didn't find any info on mine, as most of the 828 mk2s at the time were Firewire).
Thanks for everything, I am still at the beginning and I already learned a lot!
glauco

Last edited:
hi! anyone confirming that the build will work? any advice on which motherboard will be better for my build? will the pico psu-160-xt work without problems?
(in the meantime i found in the forum that the motu will work)
i will purchase BCM94360CD+M.2 adapter+4 spare antennas for wifi/bluetooth
any other advice is totally welcome, thanks a lot,
glauco

How did your build end up going? It looks like it would be a pretty sweet pro audio setup. I love MOTU interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back