Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
msi X99A sli plus
CPU
i7 5820k
Graphics
Geforce GTX 980ti Windforce
Hello,

I'm building my first ever Hackintosh and I'd love some advice before I fork out the money.

This will be a workstation primarily for Adobe Premiere Pro with some work on After Effects, Photoshop and Avid Media Composer.
I work with 2 - 4k footage regularly/

I want it to last me some time and I don't mind spending a quite a bit initially ( I can claim it on tax too).

Here is what I've been looking at:

PROCESSOR: i7-4930K
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X79
RAM:
Corsair Vengeance 32G DDR3 1600 MHz
GTX: 970 or 980
SSD:
500GB Samsung 850 EVO x2
POWER: Corsair 760W
COOLING:
Noctua NH-U9S 92mm SSO2 U-Type Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A9 PWM Fans
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

I'm not 100% on what is the best cooling for the rig, want the system to be relatively quiet.
Is there anything that's overkill or not up to scratch for what I want to do?

Thanks for your time!

Most of your kit looks like its come from the working kit list which is good. This means other people have done the work for you.

I would look at additional HDD for storage. 2 x 512GB is not going to go very far with 4K video. I'd beef up another couple of TB's at least. HDD is fine for this.

You do need to back your stuff up regularly. Time Machine is NOT (repeat NOT, repeat NOT) a professional backup system. Do not reply on it to save your work, by all means have it running but have a proper backup system as well. Since this is your livelihood, spent some of your tax deductible dollars and save yourself an enormous headache.

I'd make sure the PSU is fully modular. it makes a massive difference being able to only put the cables in which you need. Helps air flow a lot.

Personally speaking I'd hang back on water cooling. The Noctura CPU coolers (I have two) are very good. I have a very good case, a Deep Silence 5, and my kit is very quiet. I also have two GPU's and I still can't hear them. Get a decent case thats not designed for the kiddies who like to put blue flashing neon lights and it really helps on the sound. There's loads of recent ones out there. I'd also go big on the case you could put a second GPU in and a LOT more disk. You'll need the disk :)

It may be worth looking the power supply and thinking about is it big enough for two GPU's just-in-case in the future. 750W may be right for two 970's or 980's. I don;t know as I'm FCP X and AMD GPU's Its easier to spend an extra $40 now and get an extra 100W than to pull out the PSU later on. You need to make the call.

No idea on which GPU to get, check the Adobe people as they can advise. For this sort of usage, the rule is build the hardware to fit the software.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks so much for your response Rob!

Yeah I forgot to put that in, I have a spare WD 3T HDD which I'll be using as a stage. I also have a an external raid device I have been using half as back up and to work off, but I think I will turn it into a backup device.

I hadn't considered that, I will definitely get a fully modular PSU thanks. I was considering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-80PLUS-Gold-Certified-Power-Supply/dp/B00EB7UIXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441680905&sr=8-3&keywords=850+psu

And 850W is only a tiny bit more expensive so well worth it, thanks again.

Do you think I need 2 The Noctura CPU coolers and 2 system fans? Will that be enough.

I was looking at the
fractal design r5 but haven't heard of the Deep Silence 5 would you recommend it?

Thanks again!

If your system takes two CPUs then you will need two cpu fans. I thought the x79 boards were single coy though.

I have one single system fan but that runs slowly. I would always choose a big case to allow plenty of air flow. That's one reason to use a modular PSU. Use lots of cable ties to keep the air flow clear of cables. Look at which way your fans blow so your system pulls air from one side and pushes it out the other.

Cases are personal preference. The deep silence 5 case may only be available in Europe but I like them. Get a decent big case that sits underneath the desk and don't try to cram everything in a tiny case.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back