Graphics
Galaxy 670 4gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Gang, Thanks for all of your comments on my B&W G3 BILLYJACKINTOSH! Im bored again and decided to work on a G5 Case Mod.

Goals of this Build:
1. Dissect the G5 (i got from ebay in a drunken vintage computer buying frenzy) without destroying it
2. Mod as much stuff possible to maintain the original look of the G5 (including usb,firewire,power, fans ect)
3. Add Legit Water Cooling system
4. Maintain Legit Cable Management
5. Decide if i want to Put a custom Paint Job or Keep original Look (but there are some scuffs on the outside of the case)
6. Post photos of every step of the build

Here is the original un-modded case:

View attachment 64735View attachment 64736View attachment 64737View attachment 64738

IMG_1348.jpgIMG_1347.jpg

More to Come!!
:beachball:

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    993.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    1,015.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    1,007.4 KB · Views: 149
My first idea on the build. i was going to go a full ATX but decided to go with a mATX, mainly because i didnt want to relocate my HDDs which will be SSD's.

This is going to be a haswell platform. so i still haven't ordered the motherboard and other stuff yet.

Chatting with David from Laser Hive on getting come custom parts for this.

Decided on 2x 140mm water rad. for the CPU and Vid Card.

Parts arrived to rebuild the power supply, and 4x 92mm fans

the fans were to rebuild the stock apple rear fans but i like the looks of the fans so much i think im going to just install them instead of the rebuild of the apple fans. i decided to give this build a modern classic look.

Goals of this Build:
1. Dissect the G5 (i got from ebay in a drunken vintage computer buying frenzy) without destroying it Almost complete
2. Mod as much stuff possible to maintain the original look of the G5 (including usb,firewire,power, fans ect Going with a modern classic look
3. Add Legit Water Cooling system Planning that out as i type this
4. Maintain Legit Cable Management have a few ideas and will be making custom length cables
5. Decide if i want to Put a custom Paint Job or Keep original Look (but there are some scuffs on the outside of the case still can not decide if i want to do this, i cant figure out a color scheme, was thinking what with orange trim or light blue trim , What do you guys think? if i do go with the paint scheme i will be air brushing a graphic that i drew in art class about 20 years ago lol but i think it fits in with this
6. Post photos of every step of the build updating this now

New Updates:
-today the power supply showed up, 4x 92mm fans, fan controller
-going to start rebuilding the power supply this weekend
-sending my ideas to Laser Hive
-ordering new vent fans for the power supply for some quite ones
-figure out how im going to mount the water rad
-figure out how im going to install my planned window for a modern look
-thinking about going stainless steel tubing for the water cooling system, getting special connections

Photos!!!
MacIdea1.jpgMacIdea2.jpgMacIdea6.jpgMacIdea7.jpgMacIdea12.jpgIMG_1442.jpgIMG_1443.jpg

Check back in later!!!

I dont know what version i have but i bought mine from some photo or video professional.

I dont know much about these things but i got a metric Carp tonne of theniings including ram and something that connects modern HDD to the computer.... Ill post some photos in a bit

I registered just to reply to this haha Im also keeping an Eye on this thread because its similar to what i want to do. But i only really have a 600$ budget.

Power Supply Rebuild photos, Enjoy! :clap:

IMG_1486.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_1483.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1480.jpg

This was pretty fun Rebuild, although for some reason the solder on the new power supply wouldn't change phase even with my 300 watt iron!!! so i settled for a jumper made out of the plug so i can keep this project moving along.

I am glad i was able to find a home for the power switch for this unit because it would suck to not have one easily accessible.

i plan on reusing the macs power cables for the SSD and HDD tray and DvD drive, but im sure i will end up routing some power lines around for some of the other internals such as the Gprahics and water cooling.

Stay Tuned for more!

P.S. im thinking about posting a detailed report dedicated to this power supply rebuild to help others who might like to do something similar.

How did you insulate the PSU's PCB from the G5's PSU case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back