Contribute
Register

First build

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking into building the CustoMac Mini Deluxe for graphic design/adobe creative suite (i like the idea of having a smaller sized case), but i'm not sure what parts i need to go all in on, and what parts i can save money on.
I read an article about buying computers for graphic design, it said that the CPU should run AT LEAST 1GHz, RAM should be AT LEAST 8gb, the hard drive should be and SSD and AT LEAST 1TB, and the monitor resolution is AT LEAST 1280 x 800.
That leaves me with the motherboard, CPU coolers, and PSU for possibly budgeting.
-The CPUs given in the parts list are an Core i3, i5, and i7. they all run above 4 ghz, so which core do i need?
-I will probably get 16 gb's of RAM
-The hard drives given in the parts list that i cant decide between are the Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($95.24) and the
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ($150). the seagate is an HDD and the samsung is an SSD. Which hard drive should i get? why isnt there a 1TB SSD available?

I was looking into building the CustoMac Mini Deluxe for graphic design/adobe creative suite (i like the idea of having a smaller sized case), but i'm not sure what parts i need to go all in on, and what parts i can save money on.
I read an article about buying computers for graphic design, it said that the CPU should run AT LEAST 1GHz, RAM should be AT LEAST 8gb, the hard drive should be and SSD and AT LEAST 1TB, and the monitor resolution is AT LEAST 1280 x 800.
That leaves me with the motherboard, CPU coolers, and PSU for possibly budgeting.
-The CPUs given in the parts list are an Core i3, i5, and i7. they all run above 4 ghz, so which core do i need?
-I will probably get 16 gb's of RAM
-The hard drives given in the parts list that i cant decide between are the Seagate Barracuda 1TB ($95.24) and the
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ($150). the seagate is an HDD and the samsung is an SSD. Which hard drive should i get? why isnt there a 1TB SSD available?

It really depends what your purpose for your computer shall be, you mentioned video editing but that uses a lot of cores on a CPU and memory. So, yes, you may need only 1GHz on your CPU but those would have 32 cores. Most consumer grade CPU's are quad core; the i3 is dual core. If you are video editing, you can do either a solid i5 or i7 build. Depending what parts you have you can choose what chipset. So, for video editing, you could do i5-6500 and a H170M or Z170M motherboard build.

You can save money on a graphics card and get a GTX 960 or GTX 1060, and this will easily be able to run some games as well. Storage you can just stick to a 240GB SSD for a boot drive, and then have a 1TB HDD to store bulky files on; the SSD is where you would keep all your programs to keep the running speeds up and booting speeds. But, for opening videos and other files, waiting the extra 10 seconds would be unnoticeable most of the time.

16GB RAM is a good option, but 32GB if you are doing a lot of video editing as a lot of video editing programs use memory and CPU power the most; the frequency doesn't matter too much. In macOS, the software actually utilizes the memory over the CPU power for a lot of multitask management unlike in Windows. And then a normal air cooler would probably be fine if you are overclocking and a 500w 80+ Bronze rated power supply would be capable of running that type of setup.

If you are really into video editing you could look at pushing into the budget for a x99 or x299 build, but depends on what you would use your computer for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys! i think ive got all my parts picked out now. for my mother board, im choosing the Gigabyte GA-Z270N-WIFI mini-ITX ... i see the word wifi, but what else do i need to get to ensure ill have wifi on this build. i see that there are wifi adapters and wifi cards. using this mother board, do i need a card or adapter?

You can check the list of compatible WiFi cards on the list that has been posted, you will be able to see if the WiFi card that comes with it is compatible, if it's intel I don't think it will work and you will need to buy a different chip that can work in the same slot onboard. I bought a pcie WiFi card that was gaurenteed plug and go from the start to simplify that problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back