Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Building my first hackintosh and was wondering if the psu I bought is enough (
Corsair RM 650 Watt Modular)
Followed the buyers guide for the CustoMac Pro, below are the parts I have picked out
i7-4770k
GA-Z87X-UD4H
16gb Crucial Ballistix Sport
EVGA
GeForce GTX 760
2x Samusung Evo 120gb ssd (dual boot)
Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD
LG BluRay Optical Drive
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter
IOGear Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter
Fractal Design Define R4

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

See if you can return/exchange the memory. The Haswell processor & chipsets have tighter specifications than previous generations of the Core i3/i5/i7 processors. We've been noticing users experiencing system freezes when using non verified memory, especially with four memory sticks. Mavericks may also contribute to these freezes, but we think the non verified memory contributes to the freezes. Thus, my "play it safe" recommendations. YMMV

Additionally, the Z87 motherboards are designed to work with 1333 & 1600 DDR3 memory with the BIOS XMP parameter set to default (not set to Profile1). If you buy memory with great that 1600 speeds, you are advised to modify the speeds manual in the BIOS' Advanced Memory area.

The good news is that the Corsair RM 650 PSU is Haswell ready, which is also important.
What does that mean, i.e what is special about the Haswells? When I first read this on the Web I didn't take that seriously.

What does that mean, i.e what is special about the Haswells? When I first read this on the Web I didn't take that seriously.
Haswell processors have a much lower idle power wattage than previous generations of processors (IIRC, 8 watts). If a PSU is not designed to the Haswell power specifications, then, when the Haswell processor goes into an idle state, the PSU could go into a "sleep" mode only giving the motherboard/processor enough power for sleep/wake-up. I learned this from this site (see below) which I found to be a credible reference. After all, the PSU manufacturers now make "Haswell ready" PSUs.

http://techreport.com/review/24897/the-big-haswell-psu-compatibility-list

Started my build over the weekend (haven't gotten the ssd yet so haven't tried installing the os yet).
When I tried starting it up the bios didn't display (Code of AE on the motherboard), and after doing some googling, I removed the gpu and I was able to get to the bios. So the question I'm asking is, how am I able to get it to boot with the gpu in?
Tried googling this also, and haven't really figured it out. I have the evga gtx 760 and a z87x-ud4h.

Make sure your memory selection is on Gigabyte's memory verification list: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4488#dl

The good news is that the Corsair RM 650 PSU is Haswell ready, which is also important.

Hi Stork,

I am currently building a Hackintosh (see post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...d-ga-z87-ud4h-intel-i7-4770k-gtx-770-2gb.html) and the one part I am still unsure on is the RAM.

I have checked both the builders guide and Gigabyte's memory support list and found that the Crucial Ballistix memory thats in the Buyer's guide isn't on the supported memory for the GA-Z87-UD4H. Is it more important that its on the supported list for the motherboard?

I have assumed so and have therefore gone with Corsair Vengeance (although I would also prefer low profile, but thats not specifically on the memory support list either! No real reason for needing the low profile, as I am not using a heat sink, so might just go with regular modules).

Any help would be really appreciated!

Started my build over the weekend (haven't gotten the ssd yet so haven't tried installing the os yet).
When I tried starting it up the bios didn't display (Code of AE on the motherboard), and after doing some googling, I removed the gpu and I was able to get to the bios. So the question I'm asking is, how am I able to get it to boot with the gpu in?
Tried googling this also, and haven't really figured it out. I have the evga gtx 760 and a z87x-ud4h.

In my system I didn't put the GPU in until I had OS X installed and running from the onboard graphics.

I would wait until your SSD arrives and you have a complete hardware setup.

- - - Updated - - -

In my system I didn't put the GPU in until I had OS X installed and running from the onboard graphics.

I would wait until your SSD arrives and you have a complete hardware setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back