Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
This is my first build. I've been contemplating a new Mac for a while now. Seeing as my current MacBook is going on 5yrs. I came across this awesome site and immediately knew I would be building my next computer. Since this is my first time building a computer I did some research and mostly used the Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide 2012.

This helped a lot as a jumping off point and took a lot of the guess work out of choosing parts. I cannot stress enough how much of a confidence boost it is when you are given a good direction to start in. I don't think I would be building a new computer otherwise.

Even with all of the great info I still need some advice. Here are the items that I have purchased/ordered so far:

• Case - Corsair Carbide 200R
  • PSU - Corsair HX750
  • Memory - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600
  • CPU - Intel i7 3770K (I would like to also over clock the cpu if all goes well initially)
  • CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro Series H100
  • Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 670
  • WiFi Card - TP-Link PCI Express WiFi Adapter
  • Optical Drive - Sony Optiarc

There are basically only two things left which I can't decide on / Need advice on:

Motherboard: I was initially thinking of getting the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH for the Thunderbolt support, but the more I thought about it, I'm not sure if I'll even use the Thunderbolt connectors. I currently own nothing that would be compatible with them. On the other hand I don't want to be kicking myself down the road if and when I do need them. Any advice from anyone who owns this motherboard, on whether or not it was worth it would be greatly appreciated. The second choice for the motherboard would be GA-Z77X-UD5H (again just taking suggestions off of the buying guide)

SSD: This is a simple question, which seems like their would only be logical answer to, but I'm just crossing my T's and dotting my I's. I can use any SSD right? Or does it have to be SanDisk? If I can use any, then some suggestions or preferences would help a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks in advance for any help/advice given. Hopefully before Santa comes to town I'll have my new Hackintosh up and running. I plan on spending more and more time on this site in the coming weeks posting any questions I might have, or if at all possible any advice I might be able to give.

Thanks again :mrgreen:

SSD: This is a simple question, which seems like their would only be logical answer to, but I'm just crossing my T's and dotting my I's. I can use any SSD right? Or does it have to be SanDisk? If I can use any, then some suggestions or preferences would help a lot.
Yes, you can use any SSD. :)

Thank you BitterMelon. I was hoping this would be the case. I've been using a Samsung SSD in my MacBook for a while now and it works great, this is the drive I would want in my new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back