Contribute
Register

First build: Mostly for Web Dev. and Gaming (i9, Z390 and Rx 5700)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t want to sidetrack this thread but why would you only move to Catalina only after the last major update? Is the current version somehow buggy?

I only install Mojave when it reached 10.14.6, High Sierra when it reached 10.13.4 (because of improved support for the RX graphics cards) and Sierra when it reached 10.12.6 (support for Kaby Lake hardware).

It is my own personal policy NOT adopting a new OS soon after its release, be it Windows (10) or MacOS. When I have older versions (MacOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Windows 7 / Windows 8.1) working fine for me, why should I even contemplate trying a new OS and having to face unknown problems and maybe even forced to upgrade some of my software and hardware to be "compatible"?

By delaying (maybe even skipping) adopting a new OS, I can watch whether there are any crippling problems and whether they will be fixed, and for MacOS this means that I will usually delay adopting until after the last major update. In the meantime I can always use my older OS versions for work.

And in case you don't know, MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 has a big problem that will affect me greatly as a user of VMware Fusion, where I need to transfer big files often :

I consider this bug unacceptable and it just seems to me the reliability of Apple's system software is steadily declining.

If Apple does not or is unable to fix this bug in future Catalina updates I may even consider skipping Catalina altogether. And if I finally do install Catalina, it will NOT be at the expense of the older versions. I will still keep them on my systems in case I need to fall back to them if I find Catalina buggy and unusable. Personally I would rather Apple spend and allow some more time to fix the OS before releasing a new one (e.g. releasing a new OS every 2 years instead of 1 year).

And in case you don't know, MacOS Catalina 10.15.4 has a big problem that will affect me greatly as a user of VMware Fusion, where I need to transfer big files often :

I consider this bug unacceptable and it just seems to me the reliability of Apple's system software is steadily declining.

If Apple does not or is unable to fix this bug in future Catalina updates I may even consider skipping Catalina altogether. And if I finally do install Catalina, it will NOT be at the expense of the older versions. I will still keep them on my systems in case I need to fall back to them if I find Catalina buggy and unusable. Personally I would rather Apple spend and allow some more time to fix the OS before releasing a new one (e.g. releasing a new OS every 2 years instead of 1 year).

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Very enlightening!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back