CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Another noob here preparing to build his first Hackintosh. I have been perusing this site for several months and it’s been super helpful. I’m wanting to build a home desktop for ~$1,000 that has power for casual gaming, speed for working with large files (mostly data workup, I’m a scientist) and occasional use of Adobe software, but also very good reliability. After looking at the Buyer’s Guide and checking the forums, this is what I have come up with, currently ringing up at $800:
  • Gigabyte H370M D3H mATX
  • Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-core
  • WD SN750 250 GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD (For MacOS)
  • Seagate – Barracuda 2 TB HD 3.5” (for storage)
  • Patriot Scorch 256 GB M.2-2280 NVMe SSD (for booting Windows)
  • Saphire Radeon RX 580 8 PG Pulse
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2x8 GB DDR4-2400
  • Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze
  • InWin 301 mATX case
  • Cooler Master SickleFlow (Red) 69.69 CFM 120 mm Fan
  • (I already have an Acer G257HU WQHD monitor and I’ll need to choose a keyboard)
I have a few questions for the pros out there:
  1. I am fine spending a large initial amount of time getting everything to work, and I have a Linux-building friend to help me. But after everything is set up correctly, can I rely on this to be stable day-to-day and not regularly cause me grief and hair-loss? I also would appreciate any suggestions on improving the build with respect to reliability.
  2. The WD SN750 NVME is not on the pre-approved list, but several forum posts I found on this site suggested it should work. Does anyone out there have further input on the SN750 in this specific build?
  3. Timing. I don’t want to wait till the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales, but Prime Day is coming up soon. Do you think there is a good chance for big savings on any of these parts if I wait till July 15th? I notice there are rebates that pop up, should I take advantage of those while I wait till July 15th?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I like the Gigabyte D3H boards, built my hack in 2016, no problems at all. Started with El Capitain, now on Mohave with Catalina PB on old spare drive. Everything is working great and was easy to setup. I use the gigabyte RX 580 8 gig gaming card, drives 4k no problem.

So I'm thinking about switching to the Gigabyte H370M DS3H board, because it's cheaper and it still has everything I want. That should still work, right?

So I'm thinking about switching to the Gigabyte H370M DS3H board, because it's cheaper and it still has everything I want. That should still work, right?

Yes, should still work.

I like the Gigabyte D3H boards, built my hack in 2016, no problems at all. Started with El Capitain, now on Mohave with Catalina PB on old spare drive. Everything is working great and was easy to setup. I use the gigabyte RX 580 8 gig gaming card, drives 4k no problem.
@dfritchie Did you have to fix sleep/shutdown issues with the Gigabyte D3H? I ended up going with the DS3H, cause it was cheaper. It's been good so far, just have to fix this one issue.

Had it fixed, fix shutdown in clover configuator. Now have issues again but it also effects windows so I think it was something in the last BIOS update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back