Graphics
Radeon R9-290x
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'll preface this by saying this forum has been immensely helpful for this build, I've learned a TON about Mac OS and how it works. I've never owned a Mac before (though I do have an iPhone 4s, iPad3, and a Cinema display) I do mostly lurking, reading what others have had problems with and learning from their mistakes, so I thought I'd share my build and the issues I had and how I resolved them.

Core i7 3770k
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H (Bios F6)
16Gb Patriot 1600Mhz DDR3 Ram
ATI Radeon 6870 1Gb powering 2x 23" 1080p displays and a 27" LED Cinema display
Kingston C300 128Gb SSD
3x 2Tb internal HDD
SoundBlaster X-Fi USB

I used Unibeast with a 10.7.3 app store download I built on another Mac, I used the bridgehelper 3.0 on the USB stick. I was able to perfectly install 10.7.3 and then immediately run the combo update to 10.7.4 and run the bridgehelper 4.0. (I did this about 5 times, see below for why :p) I realize why now you must ABSOLUTELY have another working MacOS to install a hackintosh :p

At first I used the DSDT, but have since deleted the DSDT and don't use it, works fine without.

6870 worked perfectly OOTB, nothing needed to run the 3 monitors (HDMI, top DVI, mini-DP)

First problem I had was getting the SSD to boot by itself. The install would always boot perfect off the USB stick, but I tried installing Lion 5 times trying to get it to boot straight from the SSD. Windows 7 I had on it before booted perfect off of it. I ended up fixing this by moving it from the Intel SATA-III controller to the Marvell SATA-III controller and it started booting by itself right away.

Second problem I'm still working on is audio. I got the onboard audio to work once, then I re-booted and can't get it back. Ended up using a SoundBlaster X-Fi USB and although it works, sound quality just isn't there, and you can't adjust volume from Finder. I'm looking for other good USB soundcards (something along the lines of a Roland UA-1G) otherwise I might try out an old Soundblaster Audigy or Audigy 2 ZS I have laying around with the Kx drivers)

Otherwise everything else seems to be working pretty good, Been on it installing apps and configuring things all day and it's rock solid, no KP's or crashes.

This is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file opened through chameleon wizard.

See the use Kernel Cache check box is empty? This is the second step I needed to take after following Toleda's guide for the audio fix...

Haven't had any problems since...

If Only I could fix this laggy mouse...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 6.17.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-21 at 6.17.29 PM.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 113
brendan1981 said:
If Only I could fix this laggy mouse...
Mouse lag usually exists because of a wrong frame buffer. Try a different one for your card and see if that improves things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back