Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

This is my first post and first hackintosh build!
Primarily this will be a didicated machine for FCP editing, and some work with Adobe Creative Suite(Photoshop, InDesign, AfterEffects). {EDIT} I'm now also considering primarily using Premiere CS5 since we shoot AVCHD and lots of it. My main priority is render speed and video transcoding efficiency. Here is the hardware and I am considering:

MOBO
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

GPU
E145-9504 ::EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2
{EDIT} XFX HD577AZNFC Radeon HD 5770 Video Card - 1GB GDDR5

RAM
Patriot P33-5305 - 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-12800, DDR3 1600MHz
{EDIT} CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel

OPTICAL
Sony Optiarc SATA Model AD-7260S-0B

HDD
Seagate ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
{EDIT}Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

POWER
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

CASE
ULT40142 ::Ultra E-Torque ATX Mid-Tower Case

I've built lots of Wind0ze PC's but only worked on a Apple-made MBP for a few years. So I really want to try and buy hardware that will make this first one as painless as possible...

So does anyone see any potential problems or headaches? Or does anyone have any pointers specific to this setup?

Thanks in advance!

Re: First Build for Video Editing/FCP

How about upgrade to higher END video card ATI 57xx, 68xx, 69XX series? I too have 9500GT, don't do editing much so I cannot tell how good it is for what you are doing, but this card is in the market for quite sometime.

@ijhu

True, that would be the next step to upgrade performance. But I'm trying to keep costs down as much as I can for this first build and since I'm not doing any 3D rendering, a cheaper card should suffice for now.

As far as compatibility goes, should my currently listed card work OOB? Are there any specific kext's or other procedures I should be aware of?

Thanks for the help!

I own the EVGA 9500GT (01G-P3-N959-TR). The card works OOB with GraphicsEnabler=yes.

You should get triple channel memory instead of the dual channel RAM you listed. Also I would get a separate drive for OSX for future upgrades and ease and speed of cloning prior to OSX upgrades. Cloning 250gb worth of stuff took 3 long hours via USB hdd. Just a thought. Good luck with your build.

Ok cool,
So I decided to swap out that memory for some triple channel, like @slowjin mentioned. And also I just went ahead and went for a smaller HDD. I wish I could go solid state but I'm holding out for prices to lower some more.

So here's the new picks:

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL

HDD
Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

How do you think 6GB of triple channel will perform against 8GB of dual?

@stephenbrock hope I did not mislead you on your hdd decision. I was suggesting getting two drives at least. One for osx and apps, and the other for your data.

My understanding is that your CPU and Mobo will operate optimally with tri channel memory. 6gb tri vs 8gb dual performance will depend on tasks performed but as you upgrade, it will be best to stay with tri. 12gb option (4gb x3) seems to be best since you can later upgrade another 12gb to max out at 24gb.

What I would consider is 6gb with better GPU vs 12gb with your current 9500gt GPU.

Hopefully some other experts on the forum can recommend a better interim hw setup since you seem to be on a tight startup budget.

@stephenbrock

I built a very simmular machine and I'm loving life. Being a designer and knowing our needs i did a some things that would make it a breeze to set up.

Few things to think about, for starters i will say the same thing as ijhu for video and graphics even if your not doing 3D you should def go with a ATI 57xx or the newer ones he mentioned as they are native to the OS. I know lots of people use none ATI card and get them to work fine, but there are certain annoying things that you will have to alway deal with. For one when i do my auto updates i don't have to update my graphics enablers.(so far) :mrgreen:

Second if your going to use the machine for work, spend a few bucks upfront and you will love yourself later. The 1TB Seagate is perfect, but one thing i will be doing is adding a SSD. Nothing huge just 60GB to use for the OS and programs only. I have worked on an identical HacPro as mine with a SSD drive for the OS and programs and i felt an actual difference.

The Mobo is one of the best ones to use, because it is 1366 socket so you can upgrade to a Xeon 4 or 6 core later if you needed to. :crazy:

If your going to do lots of video editing and such get yourself an all in one liquid CPU cooler. Corsair makes three nice units. for your set up i would do the H50 or H70. The difference between the two is radiator size and a push set up on the H50 and a push and pull (2fans) on the H70. Because it was my first computer build i went with the H50, but upgraded the single fan for 2 new higher CFM fans that run at 100% all the time so My HacPro is always at optimal cool no matter what I'm doing. In 3D programs on high loads i see maybe 47 degrees. In normal operating conditions like now she is purring at a chilling 31 degrees. :cool:

Get no less then 8GB of ram. And yes i would rather get a better GPU rather then the ram, but like i said if this machine is going to make you money then bite the bullet and do the 12GB of ram and the ATI 5770. :think:

Other then that with the help of this site you can have a system up and running in less then an hour. Best part is and i know Tony has said this before, but it was easier and faster then doing a Win set up. :p

Here is shot of my G5 HacPro build. I did a GeekBench benchmark test on the free 32-bit version and hit a number of 9231 thats faster than the MacPro Xeon 2010 entry level model and not to mention half the price with two 25" screens.

GOD I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY! :headbang: Rock on TonyMac and MacMan!

My build was as follows:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev.2
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770
Intel i7 Core 950
Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Fan
LG BH10 Blu-Ray Disc Rewriter
Antec 850 watt Truepower Quattro PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA drive
G.Skill Ripjaws 6GB (3x2GB) now 12 GB PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3 Triple Channel RAM
Antec 300 Case

Very fast, 64 bit system: one thing I might change is the cooling (as Mad Audi Scientist has done). Currently cooling sees temps climb when processing video/3D rendering.

But for now...very happy! Geekbench on 32 bit around 9400, on 64 bit around 10500 (and hoping to tweek!). :D

(my hackintosh build description can be found at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9052)

Regards

Eco

ecoarena your making think about spending the 13bucks on the GeekBench 64-bit to see what number i get. Very respectable number sir.

If your going to spend a few dollars get the Corsair H70 it has a bigger radiator and dual fan set up and runs quieter then my 2 loud 2000rpm units i upgraded too.

But like you I love this new HacPro world... Oh its so nice when my Mac Freak buddys come over and see the new set up, they are like HAHAHAH you broke down and spent money on a MAC...HAHAHAH back in your face i say...Its HacPro baby..and the questions don't stop. Funny part is i have to have tissues around after i tell them what i spent and what im benchmark tetsting @ :lol:

No more can you make fun of my COMPAQ Presario CQ60! And Yes as soon as i have a good understanding of how to do the AMD install i will be fully Hacked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back