CPU
N/A
Graphics
N/A
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there, I've been interested in Hackintoshes for a long time and am wanting to finally take the plunge! I've been looking over the builds over in the Buyer's Guide. But I'm a bit indecisive and unsure on what I actually need, wanting to make sure I'm not overspending on what just sounds cool. I've never built my own computer ever either so I'm a little nervous.

I currently have a Macbook Air (2015) and am interested in something with more power to do some more things. I'd like to be able to edit videos more easily in iMovie and Screenflow, and I might look into things like HitFilm and Final Cut Pro.

I'd like to get into making tutorial/guide videos to put on Youtube, maybe streaming for some browser-based games and from a Nintendo Switch. I have an Elgato HD60 which handles the processing on its own end. I do hate the delay though, so knowing what I'd need for something that makes the desktop pull the processing weight would be good for the future (might just buy what's needed now). My monitor is 1440p and a Switch is at max 1080p, so I don't expect anything 4K in screen recording.

So I'd like to think about what I should get at a minimum, but weigh what's recommended for good reason beyond that. I imagine it's pretty easy to outdo an old Air of all things, but I'd like to be able to do those other things without facing clunkiness, if that helps to know.

I appreciate any input and help with this!

Edit: What I was thinking was the CustoMac mATX build with RAM (16GB?) from the CustoMac Budget ATX, but then was unsure on the CPU. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanks for the message, @louiefriesen!

Hmm, I hadn't thought how the monitor might affect my requirements. If it makes any difference, it's an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor. I'm more of a console gamer though. It's not my intention to build a gaming rig, if that helps to know. I like the single big screen instead of dual screens for work. I currently just hook my Air and Switch to it.

I do have a question about one thing you said. When you say an i9 9900K would be "better" for streaming and editing, what do you mean by that? Reduce delay when streaming and import/outport videos faster, basically? Or are there other things of note? I just want to know more details so I can better weigh what to get.

Again, thank you for the recommendations.

The 9900K is almost identical to the 9700K for gaming, but the 9900K has an extra 8 threads, so better video editing (scrubbing, exporting). The extra threads would make the stream a bit higher quality. Look at the prices and your budget and figure out what would work.

If you are not gonna be gaming much, like only 1080p (once in a while) then look at a RX 580 8GB.

If you want wifi and BT to work, then get something like the fenvi T919.

For a PSU, get a 80+ Gold or better fully modular unit from Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA.

Thanks again, @louiefriesen! I appreciate the explanation.

I have my options for the hard drive sorted. I guess I'll need to figure out the cooling, a case, and the wattage for the power supply, and then that's everything from what I understand. Once I know what the possible price totals are, I think I'll be able to decide it from there.

Great, thanks!

I think I want to go the Opencore vanilla route, even if it takes effort. I'm reading that Z370 motherboards are recommended over Z390 due to some extra issues/work needed. Do you think I should go with an Asus Prime Z370-A II instead? It looks like it's compatible with 9th gen processors out of the box, but I don't think I understand enough to know how it compares to the Asus Prime Z390-A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back