Contribute
Register

First Build, First Case Mod, First Everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Windows
CPU
AMD FX- 8150 Black Edition
Graphics
HD 6780
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So this is the first computer I've ever built or modded. For the past few years I've used a computer that I bought off craigslist, and when the power supply faulted and messed up my mobo, I decided to build my own. Luckily my GPU, Ram and HD's were ok. After seeing some G5 mods, I found this G5 on craigslist and got it for $40 in fully working condition (it just didn't come with the hard drive). I lucked out a whind it had the 18 pin front panel, and I was able to salvage most parts on craigslist/ebay to pay for the case itself!

I also have very limited experience in working with metal or soldering. I plan on attempting to make my own front panel cable, with the knowledge that it could go terribly wrong in which I will order one of the pre-made ones :p.

The Back
This is the dremel I used. Wasn't the best, but got the job done. I found reinforced discs really help. Use two hands, take your time and measure twice! Other than that all I really needed was a screw driver set and a Torx 5 bit.

I've never used a dremel to cut metal before, so a lot of this was new territory for me. It was rather simple to cut the back hole out, so if you're on the fence and think you're not experienced enough to do this mod, I'd say go for it as I probably had less experience than you did. Heres where the back currently is at:

20130318_163834.jpg

Currently I need to cut/file down a small part that is covering the latch to open the case. I used the tap attachment on my dremel to drill holes for screws, and I plan on using small bolts and nuts to keep the case on for a more 'industrial' look. Although I am tempted to use some JB weld and plaster to give it a more seamless look to it.

Future plans include spraying the mobo tray to match the brushed finish as it is polished aluminum. I also will look into fitting a 120mm fan in place of the 80mm for better cooling, but that'll be down the road.

Internals
Here's a list of what I used:
  • Mobo Tray: Cooler Master ATC 220 case tray. (Link to the case, it's from 2003 and is a beatiful/fantastic case that I plan on reusing)
  • Mobo: MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2
  • Processor: AMD FX-8150 Black Edition
  • GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870
  • Cooling: Corsair H55 Liquid Cooler, 2 120mm Fans (front), 1 80mm Fan (rear), maybe 2x40mm fans in rear.
  • HD: Toshiba 1tb SataIII HD, Kingston 60gb SSD

Luckily this mobo tray has a lip on each end so it leaves enough space between the case and tray for some nice cable management, and I don't have to worry about connecting the tray to the case or anything like that.

I bought a few of these to mount my fans and hdd tray to. They're the perfect hight so my fans are even with the bottom of my mobo, and will keep them centered in the case. I'm using JB weld to mount them to the case, and then industrial strength velcro for the fans and hdd tray.

Here's a pic of what I plan on doing and would love to hear some thoughts about air flow/cooling (still need to cut the shelf for the PSU fan).

20130318_163905.jpg

My thoughts/concerns/ramblings:

• Would having the PSU and GPU facing each other be bad for cooling? If so, could this be solved by putting a fan where the PCI slots are?
  • The two 40mm fans from the stock PSU can fit behind the PSU.
  • Would it benefit having a fan on either side of the radiator and HDD tray?

That's it for now, I'll definitely update with pictures as I move along with this.

Reserved space for updates.

My PSU and GPU are also facing each other without any trouble, but the PSU is getting quite warm. I am also thinking about a fan @ the slots.
The two G5 PSU fans are 60mm and very nois, but of course it could improve the cooling.
Fans on both sides of the radiator will help, on both sides of the HDD tray not so much i guess. But keep in mind that the pulling fan may increase the noise level at higher speed (typical problem of pulling fans at radiators) and at lower speeds pulling isn't the best idea for cooling. Push - pull combination would help!

In general I can't agree with your concept, because on both sides you are pushing warm air out and no fresh air goes in… By that the negative "pressure" inside your case will suck in warm air.

Just going for the case mod right now. I do a lot of gaming on PC that I need windows for.

I do have a semi-old MSI board and Intel I5 chip. I'll defeinitely be trying to put OSX on that, but as I'm on a budget I'm tackling this one project at a time. I'm using this first one as a test run and then will be making my father a hackintosh for his home recording studio.

My PSU and GPU are also facing each other without any trouble, but the PSU is getting quite warm. I am also thinking about a fan @ the slots.
The two G5 PSU fans are 60mm and very nois, but of course it could improve the cooling.
Fans on both sides of the radiator will help, on both sides of the HDD tray not so much i guess. But keep in mind that the pulling fan may increase the noise level at higher speed (typical problem of pulling fans at radiators) and at lower speeds pulling isn't the best idea for cooling. Push - pull combination would help!

In general I can't agree with your concept, because on both sides you are pushing warm air out and no fresh air goes in… By that the negative "pressure" inside your case will suck in warm air.

Thanks for the tip, and I think you're right. My plan is swapping the direction of the back fan. Hopefully the 80mm will be enough and I'll try it out for a few days with that, but if not I'll definitely be cutting out for a 120mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back