Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First Build - compatibility check: Asus P8Z77-M, i5-3470, GeForce GT 640

Hello all from italy!

I plan to make a hackintosh, the machine will be used mainly as an illustration workstation (photoshop and illustrator have to run smoothly), but also as main deskotp.

I like a cube case (i have to choose one), so i chose a mATX for factor:

[budget-wise update: 23 Oct 2012]

motherboard:
- Asus P8Z77-M
cpu
- Intel Core i5-3570K 3470 (don't need overclock, and will use a discrete graphics so don't need newer hd4000)
ram
- G.Skill Ares XMP 1600Mhz DDR3, 8 Gb (2x4 Gb) (will add other 8 in future)
storage
- SSD OCZ Agilty 3, 120 GB, SATA3
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm, SATA3
GPU
- VGA Gainward nVidia GeForce GT 640 1GB
PSU
- Corsair 650W Cooltek CVS 450W
drive
- Sony Optiarc Ad5280s 24x CD/DVD no optical drive for now, will put one i already have (in another machine) in a usb box if needed.
case
- any idea of a nice minimalistic... Fractal Design Define Mini. Got it at a bargain price, and i like it!

i followed the CustoMac Buyer's Guide and the Z77 mATX Motherboards and OS X post for info: i hope to achieve a flawless installation, with no DSDT.

Any advice?
Thank you all, and let me tell that the possibility to have a very powerful machine, for near half the price of a mac...is incredibile!

That GPU isn't for AE/PS usage, rather for a HTPC somewhat. GTX 660 TI for example? And I find the PSU overkill. 500W should be enough.

well i was wandering if staying only with the HD4000... and the gt640 seemed a little bit more.

for the Psu you are right, i wanted to write 550W, but 500 are enough!

I had to make some modification budget-wise thinking. This is what i ordered:

motherboard:
- Asus P8Z77-M
cpu
- Intel Core i5-3470 (don't need overclock, and will use a discrete graphics so don't need newer hd4000)
ram
storage
GPU
PSU
- Cooltek CVS 450W
Optical drive
- no optical drive for now, will put one i already have (in another machine) in a usb box if needed.
case
- Fractal Design Define Mini. Got it at a bargain price, and i like it!

In a few days i will receive all the parts and when all is built together i will open a topic for the installation, that i hope will be flawless following all the tips here. (patch bios with samisnake's, no DSDT, minimal kexts: audio and network, if needed only chaghe GraphicEnabler=yes/no).

just a question: any known problem with vga connector instead of dvi one?

and just to repeat: you guys rock :headbang:

I had to make some modification budget-wise thinking. This is what i ordered:

motherboard:
- Asus P8Z77-M
cpu
- Intel Core i5-3470 (don't need overclock, and will use a discrete graphics so don't need newer hd4000)
ram
storage
GPU
PSU
- Corsair 500W (or similar)
Optical drive
- no optical drive for now, will put one i already have (in another machine) in a usb box if needed.
case
- Fractal Design Define Mini. Got it at a bargain price, and i like it!

In a few days i will receive all the parts and when all is built together i will open a topic for the installation, that i hope will be flawless following all the tips here. (patch bios with samisnake's, no DSDT, minimal kexts: audio and network, if needed only chaghe GraphicEnabler=yes/no).

just a question: any known problem with vga connector instead of dvi one?

and just to repeat: you guys rock :headbang:

OS X doesn't like HD4000 VGA connector.

and the GT 640 vga connector (i'm not going to use the integrated graphics)? or maybe a VGA/DVI adpter :think: (waiting for a new screen, will be used an old one with only vga in).

and the GT 640 vga connector (i'm not going to use the integrated graphics)? or maybe a VGA/DVI adpter :think: (waiting for a new screen, will be used an old one with only vga in).

Probably will work with the discrete gfx card DVI->VGA adapter. HD4000 definitely no VGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back