Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been scanning through this forum for about 6 months, and have started buying components. Since this is my first go, I've stayed well within the lines of the Buyer's Guides, but have gone top-end with as many components as possible for system longevity - hopefully setup doesn't cause nightmares.

Currently:
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 Mobo - Installed
Intel i7-6700 4.0 Quad-Core - Installed
Noctua NH-U12S 55 HSF - Installed
Corsair RMx 650w 80+ PSU - Installed
Corsair 300R chassis - Installed

Not yet purchased:
Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500GB or 1TB)
Crucial Ballistix LT 64GB RAM
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB vid card

Ultimately I want to set this up as is my 2010 Mac Pro, with Sierra as the primary OS, and a Bootcamp install of Windows (I guess I'll have to upgrade to 10?)

The desktop should be screaming with Premiere and AE, and also be able to do moderately well at a few games in the PC boot sector.

Any of you experienced builders see red flags, or headaches I'm steering toward?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Looks ok. You won't use Bootcamp for Windows though. Install it on a separate hard drive /SSD and dual boot that way.

So force BIOS to allow me to select on start? I can do 2 SSDs perhaps, or partition - but will need one OS or another to make those partitions.

Most people choose to dual boot on separate SSDs and use Clover bootloader. That way you can completely bypass entering the BIOS at all on boot up. You'll have your choice of OS at every boot up.

System is built and wired - and will move software questions to the proper area - but before we go...

Based on your advice, I'm intending to install Sierra on one drive - then will install Clover to the system - and install Win on the second drive.

To start with getting Sierra loaded, I'm reading this guide - is this the current/best procedure if I'm intending to use Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back