Contribute
Register

Firewire 400 problem and Gigabyte Z68 XP-UD3

Status
Not open for further replies.
using DSDT, latest BIOS, same graphics and motherboard as you, 10.6.8, FW400 works fine with unpowered 2.5" drives and powered 3.5" drives. I will say this, however. I picked this board because it had FW, and I've used FW for backups for years.

However: SATA is about 4 times faster. You can get cables with eSATA on one end, SATA on the other, or put quick release drive bays in, etc. If you need FW for some kind of audio or video interface, well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

using DSDT, latest BIOS, same graphics and motherboard as you, 10.6.8, FW400 works fine with unpowered 2.5" drives and powered 3.5" drives. I will say this, however. I picked this board because it had FW, and I've used FW for backups for years.

However: SATA is about 4 times faster. You can get cables with eSATA on one end, SATA on the other, or put quick release drive bays in, etc. If you need FW for some kind of audio or video interface, well, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Catahula et All:

Sata is much faster that FW400 but its about equal to FW800

And as you stated "Sata is about 4 times faster."

I just wanna say as Bill Murray the actor played the Army private "John Winger"; said in the movie "Stripes" - " Thats the fact, Jack!"

And will this tread every die....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back