Contribute
Register

(Finally!) Successful P67a-ud3p dual boot install :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Followed the blog entry for dual-boot along with the basic SB guide and after a few inevitable snags along the way (aka my own carelessness), have W7U and Snow Leopard booting off a single ssd with chameleon. Still have to install a few kexts, as I chose easybeast option, but so far, everything I expect to work works.

A few notes:
no need to use bus ratio 29 yet... mouse is smooth at 34.
tried reinstalling second 4gb stick of RAM after all was up and running, but would not boot. I thought it defaulted to 64 bit??? do I need a kernel flag?

I also am liking the fact that with W7U and SL both installed and working I've only used 20GB of disc space... and that includes MS Office on the W7 side.
Tomorrow ethernet and audio, Saturday NAS and data migration. Sunday... kickback, watch some football and wow my geek friends :)

Update: all working now, does need busratio=29 kernel flag though.

thanks to Tony, MacMan and all the others that have made this process workable.

Re: Successful P67a-ud3p dual boot install :)

booted with arch=i386 -force64 kernel flags with 8gb RAM, added -force64 flag to the boot.plist and now boots without entering kernel flags at chameleon with 8GB. on to the audio and ethernet.

OK... first real snag... after using the realtek ethernet package installer, I can connect to my network and can download a page, but it appears to seize up once a page is loaded. That is, it loads the content of a page, but the spinning wheel starts shortly thereafter. Any ideas?

I have the same motherboard and processor. Using busratio=29 fixed the problem.

Could you please list exactly what you added to boot.plist to get 8 GB? I want to try the same thing.

Thanks.

not at home now... I think I forgot to set bus ratio in bios... I'll check settings tonight

silentsage said:
I have the same motherboard and processor. Using busratio=29 fixed the problem.

Could you please list exactly what you added to boot.plist to get 8 GB? I want to try the same thing.

Thanks.

EDIT: SEE LATER 'GUIDE'... this one doesn't quite work.

I was able to boot into SL from chameleon with 'arch=i386 -force64'...
once booted, I edited the plist file by adding the same keys to the kernel flags. booted up and recognized 8gb without a problem. I've since played with changing arch to x86_64, adding busratio=29 or bus_ratio=29, both in the plist and passing with chameleon... tried reinstalling the realtek ethernet package, but nothing had any effect on the 'page load freeze'. My procedure was as follows:

1) partition disk into 2 partitions from working OS X machine (created three partitions including the efi partition): 1) efi, 2) snow leopard (Mac OS X Extended- journaled), 3) Windows 7 (FAT 32)
2) installed new hardware... newly formatted SSD in SATA0, Sony OptiArc CD/DVW-RW on SATA1, Apple FT120 video card in first PCIex16 slot, G.Skill 1x4GB 'Sniper' 1600MHz RAM in closest slot to CPU, only CPU fan connected to mobo, all others operating directly off 12v supply.
3) BIOS settings: select 'optimized default' and reboot, select AHCI sata mode, HPET enabled 64 bit, boot priority 1-OptiArc CD/DVD drive, 2-HDD
4) install Windows 7 Ultimate... reformat windows partition to NTFS. then normal W7 install. shut down.
5) Download and Burn ISO image of iBoot Legacy onto CD on different machine.
6) Download (on different machine) and copy to jumpdrive MultiBeast, BridgeHelper and 10.6.6 combo update. eject jumpdrive and put into any available USB2 slot on new machine.
7) Power on and Insert iBoot Legacy into CD drive and reboot (think I had to select boot options (F12) from bios startup to select my CD drive, as having a jumpdrive inserted for some reason bumped the jumpdrive to top boot priority... might have even gone back into BIOS (DEL) to reset boot priority to put jumpdrive last in list).
8) At Chameleon prompt, eject iBoot Legacy and insert retail SL 10.6.3 disk... rescan drives (F5)... select SL, custom install with all options deselected.
7) insert iBoot Legacy disc. reboot.
8) Select Snow Leopard partition in Chameleon, watch bling video.
9) copy MultiBeast (MB), BridgeHelper (BH) and 10.6.6 combo update (CU) to desktop (leave jumpdrive in).
10) open and 'advance' all three to just prior to the 'Installation' step of their respective installs... you should have three open installers (MB, BH and CU) which will prompt for password with next click of 'continue' on each.
11) install combo update, but do not reboot when done, leave open.
12) install bridgehelper.
13) install multicast with easybeast selection.
14) select reboot in 10.6.6 Combo Update installer
15) reboot to verify all is working from HDD
16) shutdown
17) install second 4gb of RAM
18) boot and hit any key at chameleon prompt to allow entry of kernel flags
19) enter: arch=i386 -force64
20) press <return>

should boot into SL from HDD and recognize 8GB RAM... at least it does in my case.
Now, at this stage, I installed the realtek ethernet with the package installer and started playing with the bus ratio, but have not resolved that issue yet. That is where I am now.

Re: (kind of) Successful P67a-ud3p dual boot install :)

OK... maybe I'm dense and just didn't see the instructions, but the issue with my browser freezing up was safari choking on flash. As soon as I installed 'Plugin Customs' to block loading of flash, I was able to load pages (noticed this because the apple site loaded easily, as did google, but yahoo as well as this site choked). Anyway, is everyone using Firefox... did I miss that somewhere?

Re: (very, very near) Successful P67a-ud3p dual boot install :)

not so fast on the browser freezes... seemed to be more related to my non-accelerated GPU... blocking flash just limited how often it happened. tried installing nvidia enabler through multibeast and must have forgotten to select something, 'cause it would not reboot into SL even with the help of iBoot Legacy. oops. time to start over.... ok, done. that was easier the third time around ;)

things learned this time:

READ THE "MultiBeast Features" FILE COMPLETELY!
install easybeast option of Multibeast (with system utilities), then reboot.
run multibeast again, select nvenabler and system utilities. reboot.
run multibeast again, select Lnx2Mac Ethernet. reboot.
run multibeast again, select RealTek ALC8xx with 892 enabler. reboot.

still working on audio... think I need rollback.

other than audio, QE/CI working, ethernet is good (including flash in Safari), all is good.

One more note this time around. I was able to do the whole thing with 8GB (2x4GB) RAM installed... I just made sure to add the -force64 kernel flag to the boot.plist file before clicking on reboot in the combo update installer. good to know :)

Re: (very, very near) Successful P67a-ud3p dual boot install :)

hda rollback fixed the audio as expected.

tried without busratio=29 kernel flag, but definitely needed. Just appended it to the kernel flags string in Extra/com.apple.boot.plist along with arch=i386 and -force64. So, no entries needed at chameleon boot, just power up and wait. As far as I can tell, everything is working as expected (except the bus ratio issue, but that should be fixed in time). I do believe I am done tweaking until either a new iboot/multibeast patches the bus ratio, or until sandy bridge support is official. :thumbup:

My strawman guide to my successful single drive, dual boot sandy bridge install:

1) Download and Burn ISO image of iBoot Legacy onto CD.
2) Download and copy to jumpdrive MultiBeast, BridgeHelper and 10.6.6 combo update.
3) partition disk into 2 partitions from working OS X machine using diskutil (created three partitions including the efi partition): 1) efi, 2) snow leopard (Mac OS X Extended- journaled), 3) Windows 7 (FAT 32)
4) installed new hardware... newly formatted SSD in SATA0, Sony OptiArc CD/DVW-RW on SATA1, Apple GT120 video card in first PCIex16 slot, G.Skill 2x4GB 'Sniper' 1600MHz RAM in 1st and 3rd slots from cpu, only CPU fan connected to mobo, all others operating directly off 12v supply.
5) enter BIOS and select AHCI sata mode. save/exit.
6) install Windows 7 Ultimate from DVD... reformat windows partition to NTFS. then normal W7 install. eject disk, restart to validate w7 install.
7) download @bios from gigabyte website.
8) download and extract latest bios from gigabyte to desktop (F6 as of this writing).
9) run @bios to flash new bios from file on desktop.
10) at reboot, enter BIOS and select 'optimized defaults'. reboot.
11) enter BIOS, select AHCI sat mode, HPET enabled 64 bit, boot priority: 1-Optiarc CD/DVD (or whatever your optical drive shows up as), 2- HDD. exit/save.
12) at Power on insert iBoot Legacy into CD drive.
13) At Chameleon prompt, eject iBoot Legacy and insert retail SL 10.6.3 disk... rescan drives (F5)... select OS X install disc, proceed with custom install with all options deselected.
14) when finished with install, insert iBoot Legacy disc. reboot.
15) Select Snow Leopard HDD partition in Chameleon, watch bling video.
16) insert jumpdrive with MultiBeast (MB), BridgeHelper (BH) and 10.6.6 ComboUpdate (CU) and copy each to desktop.
17) open and 'advance' all three to just prior to the 'Installation' step of their respective installs... you should have three open installers (MB, BH and CU) which will prompt for password with next click of 'continue' on each.
18) install combo update, but DO NOT REBOOT when done, leave open.
19) install bridgehelper.
20) install multibeast with easybeast selection and system utilities.
21) if you have more than 4GB of RAM installed, edit Extra/com.apple.boot.plist file: add -force64 and busratio=29 to the kernel flags string (no need to create extra strings, just add to the existing one including arch=i386. save and close file.
22) close textedit, and the installers for MB and BH (if you have note already)
23) select restart in 10.6.6 Combo Update installer (not the apple menu restart)
24) enter BIOS and reset boot priority to:1-HDD, 2-your optical drive. save/exit.
25) Should boot into OS X... once up, run multibeast again, select nvenabler and system utilities. reboot.
26) Once up, run multibeast again, select Lnx2Mac Ethernet. reboot.
27) Once up, run multibeast again, select RealTek ALC8xx with HDA Rollback and 892 enabler. reboot.

thats it. simple. (as long as you have EXACTLY the same hardware as I do ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back