Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well I think I've done my research well enough and have come up with this combination.
Note I'm not a heavy graphics user (some photoshop) and I want my hackintosh to be as quiet as possible, as I will be
running Reaper for recording.

So here goes.
Gigabyte H87-HD3 S1150 Intel H87 DDR3 ATX
Intel Core i7-4771 S1150 3.50GHz 8MB
Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Blu Black DDR3 1600MHz DIMM XMP
OCZ Technology 240GB Vertex 460 SATA 6GB/s 2.5" Solid State Drive
Asus GeForce GT 640 901MHz 2GB PCI-E 3.0 HDMI DirectCU Silent
TP LINK 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter

Now two minor questions,
I take it an older USB2.0 based SD Card reader will work fine?
I have an old LG SATA-II Bluray drive, which will be used to create MKVs (using MakeMKV and then converted to MP4 using Handbrake), any issues with these (not sure of the model).

Case will be
Best Value AeroCool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case mATX Black
With a 600W power supply
Corsair 600 Watt Builder Series CX 600 Modular Power Supply

Finally. A good time to go Mavericks or still too early to tell?

Cheers all

might i recommend a lower tier processor, save yourself some $$$ for the broadwell upgrade (coming soon-ish) . the i5 is essentially the same thing minus hyperthreading. you'll potentially be able to save yourself 80 pounds or so. might I also recommend ditching the kingston ram for some corsairs.

as far as mavericks, runs pretty solid and stable.
card reader will work, not sure about the blu-ray drive.

oh and i forgot, if you're partial with sticking with OCZ (toshiba) , I would highly encourage you to drop the extra 20 and spring for a vector 150 240gb. It features Cherry picked Toshiba 19nm NAND, with extra validation and QC. these drives are rated at 92TB write endurance (50GB/day for 5 years, sick) . 5 yrs warranty. top grade stuff in here.

Highly recommended if you'll be using anything that will be using the ssd for scratch disks.
(one of my editing rigs does about 20GB a day worth of scratch/cache writes while recording/editing, and thats already bumping near that particular drives limits )
Next best thing would be enterprise ssd , so you'll really happy with the upgrade.

Well it looks like broadwell will not be compatible with current MGs even though the socket willbe the same.
I may go Crucial memory and SSD as they currently have 240G on sale at £89.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back