Contribute
Register

Figured Out How to Make the RX 580 Work with the 10.15.1 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you guys so much for the support! I was able to finally get it working. I had to:
1. Reinstall 10.15.1 from a USB drive
2. Install Whatevergreen (I didn't have to use it in the past)
3. Replace the AMD Kexts (thanks to dnadig)!!

Restart and it works great once again.

Thank you guys so much for the support! I was able to finally get it working. I had to:
1. Reinstall 10.15.1 from a USB drive
2. Install Whatevergreen (I didn't have to use it in the past)
3. Replace the AMD Kexts (thanks to dnadig)!!

Restart and it works great once again.

After you replaced the AMD kexts, was your video card recognized correctly in “About this Mac”?
Did it reflect the correct amount of video ram?

My apologies, but what AMD Kexts did you replace. I'm having the same issue and I don't have much hair left to loose. 10.15.1 owns me at the moment.

These 2:
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDFramebuffer.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext

After you replaced the AMD kexts, was your video card recognized correctly in “About this Mac”?
Did it reflect the correct amount of video ram?

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 10.23.30 PM.jpg

Originally I just replaced the kexts and installed WhateverGreen and I was able to get the video card to show up in about this mac, but the ram was off and the card was obviously not working correctly. After that I started at the beginning with a fresh install of the OS and then the Kext and WhateverGreen and it worked perfectly. Since I did the kext and whatevergreen at the same time, I'm not sure if both were needed. I just wanted to cover my bases.

View attachment 434523
Originally I just replaced the kexts and installed WhateverGreen and I was able to get the video card to show up in about this mac, but the ram was off and the card was obviously not working correctly. After that I started at the beginning with a fresh install of the OS and then the Kext and WhateverGreen and it worked perfectly. Since I did the kext and whatevergreen at the same time, I'm not sure if both were needed. I just wanted to cover my bases.
I had to remove these 2 :
/System/Library/Extensions/AMDFramebuffer.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/AMD9500Controller.kext
Because after installing them, my RX-580 was not recognized properly as it shows in your screenshot.
Once I removed them I was fine.

Screen Shot 2019-11-06 at 11.30.54 AM.png

Let's look at the catalina 10.15.1 AppleGraphicDevicePolicy.kext. ConfigMap with a list of board-id and config1,2,3 assigned to it. I assumed anyone who is using board-id that has "none" will be greeted with a blackscreen if you don't have WEB 1.3.4 to disable this kext when update to 10.15.1.

We can patch this AppleGraphicDevicePolicy.kext with the patch below to bypass the board-id matching and allow us to update to 10.15.1 without having to use Lilu and WEG 1.3.4.

XML:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>Black Screen Patch (c) Pike R. Alpha</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
Ym9hcmQtaWQ=
</data>