Contribute
Register

Fenvi "802.11 AC and Bluetooth" card turns out to be 8301 with Intel N-6205 and no AC or Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
Core i5-6600K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
When compiling my hardware list for this build I used the link in the Buyer's Guide.

I ended up with a two-antenna Fenvi FV8301 - according to the box - however there's also a sticker on it that claims (falsely, as you'll see, below):
X0018SJSVL
801.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC
Bluetooth 4.0 OS X Yosemite 10.10+
PC/Hackintosh - Handoff and Continuity

I don't think the one I bought is actually listed on the Amazon Page anymore (a few days later). The link is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDLG51U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
There are currently 7 things listed there, none of which cost $59 (what I was charged) and none appear to perfectly match what I have.

I have neither Wifi nor Bluetooth recognized in the system AT ALL.

This box did NOT include the required, bizarre cable. I had to make from a USB header and leads from an old case. There is no way to be certain precisely how those two leads need to be connected on the card-side, because the diagram included labels only the USB header side, not the card side.

The card itself is also labeled 8301. Out of desperation, I opened the one screw on the card to see the Intel board inside it - N-6205 - which, according to the Intel site, does NOT have Bluetooth - nor AC networking, so this Fenvi is going back...

Rest of Build:
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Ultra Gaming
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC Gaming
i5 6600K
16 GB Ballistix Sport LT (2x8)
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Corsair RM650X
H60 Cooler
200R Case

I report this in order to possibly aid others. I guess I will try one more Fenvi, because I would really like the AC and Bluetooth... Open to suggestions, however, since, as I said, even the Wifi was not being detected by the system...

I read somewhere about the slot you put the card in. If there's another slot, try it. It's supposed to work OOTB

No, OP is right: There's something fishy going on with this specific card. The link in all of the build pages does NOT go to the card it's supposed to link to. I have only found it here: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...A-B-G-N-AC-BCM94360CD/106046_32778371977.html

It doesn't seem to be available anywhere else. I found it on eBay, but it said the link was taken down due to the part being "missing or broken," which tells me someone else ran into this same issue of buying this card and then having it not be the card they expected.

I'm now also having trouble finding a bluetooth capable network card. Nothing else is listed in the buyer's guide (https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/april/2017)

There has been some discussion about this in another thread. The Fenvi FV-T919 (the one that works with macOS) is apparently out of stock just about everywhere (except direct from China, a.k.a. Aliexpress). Unfortunately, Amazon.com has a boneheaded algorithm that substitutes a "similar" product when a link to the product you're trying to buy is out of stock. A substitute may be OK for dish soap, but it doesn't work for items like this. It's up to you, the buyer, to pay close attention to what you're actually buying.

There has been some discussion about this in another thread. The Fenvi FV-T919 (the one that works with macOS) is apparently out of stock just about everywhere (except direct from China, a.k.a. Aliexpress). Unfortunately, Amazon.com has a boneheaded algorithm that substitutes a "similar" product when a link to the product you're trying to buy is out of stock. A substitute may be OK for dish soap, but it doesn't work for items like this. It's up to you, the buyer, to pay close attention to what you're actually buying.

I fell prey to this too. Although the card is a FV8301 there is no OOTB connectivity. All slots checked. Still need a card to work OOTB for Wifi and BT. Does anyone have one that works with 10.13 High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back