Contribute
Register

Fed up with Asus eah 5750 formula. What about Asus ENGTX 550 Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8H67-M
CPU
i3
Graphics
GT 640
Hi

I had my card for the last year and a half and i get a crash maybe once a day (vertical gray lines or black screen). I think its a video card problem as I've never been able to get it properly detected by the os - it always says its a generic Ati 5000 card. Whatever I've done to make it detect the right video buffer didn't work.

I'm fed up of this crashes. Really fed up. And I want to get a new card. I don't want to make the same mistake again. I've looked at the site and it says that the Nvidia cards are supported natively and that after installation you don't need to change anything on the plists file and the cards are detected. Im also looking for this as Im fed up too with all the tinkering I have to do when an update is done to the os at the video driver level.

Is the Asus ENGTX 550 Ti a good card? Will it work out of the box? Has anybody experience with this card? Does the DVd and valve games qork with this card? Is it properly detected?

Thanks.

The GTX 550ti is not Mountain Lion compatible, but it works great under Lion. This card will sleep the mac but will not wake up, games messes up the screen. Half-Life 2 game did work OK under 550ti. Try the next card up, the 560ti works great under Mountain Lion.

Wow... The 560 is way too expensive for me. What about gigabyte Geforce Gt 640. Its around 100euro. And it says its compatible in the 2012 customac guide

Is it a good option?

Wow... The 560 is way too expensive for me. What about gigabyte Geforce Gt 640. Its around 100euro. And it says its compatible in the 2012 customac guide

Is it a good option?

yes.

I've been loooking more into the available cards. But I still want some advice, so I will apreciate any extra information.

1. I want to have a graphic card that is 10.7 and 10.8 compatible (I till migrate soon)
2. I don't want to mess up with any driver change as I have to do now with my Asus EAH 5750 formula after each update I have to do.
3. I want the card to be properly detected by OSX and not as my card that is detected as a generic ATI 5000 card.

So, with that conditions I am looking seriously at this two cards:

GeForce GT 640 - Cheaper, but I'm afraid that maybe it has not enought power.
GFX 560Ti - a little bit expensive but I might get one second hand at ebay. Also it looks as a very good card.

My questions are:
Do this cards work as I say on my first 3 points?
Is any brand better than others?
can anybody tell me their experience with this cards?

Any help would be appreciated.

The 560ti comes in various company names which range from 167 euro to 209 euro, I got the 209 euro, didn't know there was a cheaper 167 euro sitting next to it from a cheaper company. Which one did you find. The 560ti is fast enough for Gothic Arcadia the worstest FPS eater game out there. The 550ti was very slow compared to it.

The 560ti comes in various company names which range from 167 euro to 209 euro, I got the 209 euro, didn't know there was a cheaper 167 euro sitting next to it from a cheaper company. Which one did you find. The 560ti is fast enough for Gothic Arcadia the worstest FPS eater game out there. The 550ti was very slow compared to it.

Well.. I may be able to buy a PNY ACCLR8 560Ti for around 150. It seems is a 300Euro card. But that's not my main issue. I just want to know if there is tinkering with the kexts to be done when you install osx or you update it.

Do you have to touch the kexts when you upgrade? is it properly detected by Osx? Which brand do you have?

Regards

Well.. I may be able to buy a PNY ACCLR8 560Ti for around 150. It seems is a 300Euro card. But that's not my main issue. I just want to know if there is tinkering with the kexts to be done when you install osx or you update it.

Do you have to touch the kexts when you upgrade? is it properly detected by Osx? Which brand do you have?

Regards

At this moment I am at 10.7.3 and I've read that thre's people having problems with this cards on 10.7 (people talk about touching the kexts, and a lot of things, they even can't boot the osx with the card).

I'm planning to move to 10.8 sooner or later, but the driver tinkering just pushes me back (making my audio work was a nightmare)

nope, it works right out of the box, in multibeast there is an option to install an 560ti kext. Not sure on 10.7, I had 550 for 10.7 upgraded to 560 for 10.8, seems to have native support for this card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back