Contribute
Register

FCPX isn't using 280x GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multibeast is Clover now.

Chameleon has been almost perfect since I started building Hacks in 2012, I've built and maintained 4 Hacks with it.

So far Clover has required a multitude of reinstalls, searching out manual code to add to the config file and plenty of hair pulling. The fact that you can't use an internal Raid array with it for example took ages to sort out, and the Clover devs say there's no need to fix it.

If my main edit machine goes to sleep, when you wake it the monitors don't come back on. It's a widely reported problem, with seemingly no fix. Every other machine has no sound when they wake from sleep. There's occasional video glitches and all sort of other issues now.

I'll get some of it ironed out I'm sure, but it's been far from plain sailing here.

Multibeast is Clover now.

Chameleon has been almost perfect since I started building Hacks in 2012, I've built and maintained 4 Hacks with it.

So far Clover has required a multitude of reinstalls, searching out manual code to add to the config file and plenty of hair pulling. The fact that you can't use an internal Raid array with it for example took ages to sort out, and the Clover devs say there's no need to fix it.

If my main edit machine goes to sleep, when you wake it the monitors don't come back on. It's a widely reported problem, with seemingly no fix. Every other machine has no sound when they wake from sleep. There's occasional video glitches and all sort of other issues now.

I'll get some of it ironed out I'm sure, but it's been far from plain sailing here.

Wasn't even aware that Multibeast is Clover. I used Multibeast for my earlier hacks and found it worked fine, however once I got to the Z87X and Z97X motherboards, Multibeast was awful. It would lock up at least once a day, Clover on the other hand has been issue free, but I'm sure thats just good luck.

Not used RAID on Apple kit for years, whose software are you using?

My main machine doesn't sleep as a) I never got it to work b) I do large database runs that can take 3-4 days to complete. Since i never sleep I have no issues with monitors but I thought that sleep/monitor issue was GPU related, but never checked in too much detail.

Never bothered with sound as I use an external USB sound card. I used that card when I last had a Mac Pro so just carried on using it.

Not had any video glitches at all, I would get seriously worried if I did as one of the main reasons for the 280X is video compatibility.

We have had the opposite effects with Multibeast and Clover :)

Rob

Hiya. As I understand it Multibeast/Unibeast are related directly to this particular website, and it has now decided to use Clover for El Capitan installs.

My main machine uses the 280x and it's set to never sleep, only the monitors sleep after 15 minutes, and they come back on fine after sleep. If the whole system sleeps, then you'd have to restart the machine to get the monitors to work again.

Also this machine has a Blackmagic video card which handles the audio I/O. I expect the built in audio has never worked. The internal RAID uses Apple's Disk Utility software and it's been great, I get almost 500MB/sec using 3x 2TB WD black drives. There's a 6TB external hardware RAID acting as a CCC mirror over eSATA and that gets very similar speeds.

It's the three other machine which have been the real pain, as they are all similar spec and all have loads of data that needed migrating.

Hiya. As I understand it Multibeast/Unibeast are related directly to this particular website, and it has now decided to use Clover for El Capitan installs.

My main machine uses the 280x and it's set to never sleep, only the monitors sleep after 15 minutes, and they come back on fine after sleep. If the whole system sleeps, then you'd have to restart the machine to get the monitors to work again.

Also this machine has a Blackmagic video card which handles the audio I/O. I expect the built in audio has never worked. The internal RAID uses Apple's Disk Utility software and it's been great, I get almost 500MB/sec using 3x 2TB WD black drives. There's a 6TB external hardware RAID acting as a CCC mirror over eSATA and that gets very similar speeds.

It's the three other machine which have been the real pain, as they are all similar spec and all have loads of data that needed migrating.

I never read the stuff on Clover and Multibeast as I don't understand it and mine works :)

I've set the monitors the same way as well. I don't sleep the machine just the monitors.

That seems sensible. Never used the Blackmagic video card as thats 'pro' stuff and I'm not.

I thought I'd read that Apple RAID was removed in El Capitan? I looked for it briefly but didn't see it but can't say I searched for it.

You have a proper workhorse that generates revenue which is good. Mine is a workhorse but sadly until we finish the development, is generating zero revenue :)

Rob

FYI RAID is available in 10.11 via the terminal, or via Disk Utilities in Recovery Mode.
Personally I just replugged my three existing RAID drives and the RAID mounted with no data loss.
Anyway, I'll leave it there. We've hijacked this thread long enough I think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back