qbe

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hello,

I am wondering, did you feel any better fcpx responsiveness or difference apart from better render times by adding second card?

also message to rwillet, hope he peaks here: which ports you use for tripple monitor setup and do you use stock framebuffer? Which one?

Tx

I did happen to peak (or even peek) here. If you want to get hold of me I'd suggest PM'ing me as I rarely look through the activity section here as most of its noobies complaining their $100 laptop from a no-name manufacturer doesn't work. I'm happy to help people who put the time in, but I have a business to build so am not prepared to hand hold too much.

Not seen much benefit to having two 280X video cards for general OS X usage. Screens don't seem to appear any faster than having just one card. Then again, nothing seems to slow down, so it may well be that I am doing nothing in normal use to stress the cards, which is fine. I wanted three monitors driven correctly for development and am happy with the result.

I don't use three ports on one card, I use two ports on one card and one port on another as thats all the connectors I had :) If I look at the back now, the GPU closest to the CPU has DVI-D and DP connectors and the other card has a DP connector. I don't have the right connectors for HDMI as I don't use it, my 280X doesn't have a second DP port, but an HDMI.

I do nothing for the frame buffer. Indeed I have never done anything special with the 280X, I put both cards in the system and installed everything from Yosemite onwards with them both in. Never used any flags for install apart from -v and maxmem=8192. I did do the EFI partition trick, but that was it. One of the reason for getting the 280X was not having to worry about drivers etc.

Sometimes when onlining complex projects (prores 4444, fx, cc) the interface is kinda sluggish.Sometimes even when editing multicams there is little lag, but mostly switching the video/audio/info/color board tabs in these unrendered complex projects. Was hoping second card would help with ui.

Ps: rwillet: i wanted pm, but it seems you have that feature disabled

Sometimes when onlining complex projects (prores 4444, fx, cc) the interface is kinda sluggish.Sometimes even when editing multicams there is little lag, but mostly switching the video/audio/info/color board tabs in these unrendered complex projects. Was hoping second card would help with ui.

Ps: rwillet: i wanted pm, but it seems you have that feature disabled

FCP X doesn't appear sluggish to me, so perhaps that dual cards do help :) Since I don't run FCP X in single card mode, I don't know the difference. I also probably don't run that complex, massive FCP X projects.

I wasn't aware of the PM issue :oops: Have now corrected it. Slightly embarrassing.

Thanks,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back