CPU
i7-4770K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey all, been doing some research and seeing mixed answers, I was thinking of doing a hackintosh build to place my dual Xeon 5,1. It just still stutters and lags from time to time and I don’t really care to go source parts for it again. So my plan was to see how fast I can make a hackintosh to run 10.14 Mojave as I have software and Hw that caps out at 10.14, can I run 12th Gen or 13th Gen Intel without much problems? On the build compatibility sheets I see the cap out it seems at 10900k? And does it matter if it’s a z590 mobo?

Thanks in advance

9th generation is the last with native, "out-of-the-box", support in Mojave. Later generations require spoofing the CPU to 9th gen.

10th generation is the last one with support in macOS, in particular the last one to have supported iGPU display if paired with 400-series chipset. So Z590 does matter—don't go for it, stay with Z490 or go all the way to 600/700.

There have been some reports of success running Mojave on 12th generation. I would assume that it is still possible with 13th generation and/or 700-series. Of course, there are very few users running old Mojave on the latest hardware so it may be difficult getting specific help if your run into issues.

As to the title question, the answer depends on how you define "fastest". Single-core (audio work?) or multi-core?

9th generation is the last with native, "out-of-the-box", support in Mojave. Later generations require spoofing the CPU to 9th gen.

10th generation is the last one with support in macOS, in particular the last one to have supported iGPU display if paired with 400-series chipset. So Z590 does matter—don't go for it, stay with Z490 or go all the way to 600/700.

There have been some reports of success running Mojave on 12th generation. I would assume that it is still possible with 13th generation and/or 700-series. Of course, there are very few users running old Mojave on the latest hardware so it may be difficult getting specific help if your run into issues.

As to the title question, the answer depends on how you define "fastest". Single-core (audio work?) or multi-core?
audio work, i just live by the buy once cry once so if the 12th and 13th gen are supported and can work without too much trouble then i will have no problem paying the price. However if a lot of issues and not much of a difference then i would rather not. I am just looking for something better then my current mac pro with 2x Xeon 3,46 6 cores and 96gb ram

There are users using 12th/13th gen. for audio. @ori69 has experimented with Mojave on Z690.

Any Thunderbolt audio interfaces? Thunderbolt works best with Titan Ridge (TB3), not Maple Ridge (TB4) which may come onboard with 500-series and later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back