Contribute
Register

Fast SSD for After Effets cache / general video work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, after advice on a fast SSD for using with After Effects CS6 media cache and general video editing in Adobe Premiere. I currently have a 1TB Seagate and a Sandisk Extreme 120GB.

Thanks.
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB would be my first choice. Best price / performance ratio. Reliable too.

Thanks trs96. I'm currently using the Sandisk Extreme for OS X and the 1TB Seagate for project and media files. I'll be using the other SSD for caches (mainly After Effects disk cache, but some Premiere) and exports, I think. Samsung 840 Pro sounds good, I've read positive things about it. Will I need to enable TRIM or anything else in multi beast? I currently don't have TRIM enabled.

My Sandisk Extreme gives quite slow write speeds (130MB) for incompressible data, which is annoying, as I wasn't aware of this phenomenon with SSDs before I'd purchased. I'm hoping that if used purely for OS X it should be fine, as long as I use the Samsung for Adobe's caches.

Thanks trs96. I'm currently using the Sandisk Extreme for OS X and the 1TB Seagate for project and media files. I'll be using the other SSD for caches (mainly After Effects disk cache, but some Premiere) and exports, I think. Samsung 840 Pro sounds good, I've read positive things about it. Will I need to enable TRIM or anything else in multi beast? I currently don't have TRIM enabled.

My Sandisk Extreme gives quite slow write speeds (130MB) for incompressible data, which is annoying, as I wasn't aware of this phenomenon with SSDs before I'd purchased. I'm hoping that if used purely for OS X it should be fine, as long as I use the Samsung for Adobe's caches.

Enabling Trim in MB is a good idea since you'll be writing data to the Samsung SSD constantly. Apple uses Samsung SSDs in
their Macbook Pros and they always have Trim enabled. Can't hurt to do that on yours. The numbers on write speeds
for the 840 should be over 400 MB/s. The Sandisk for the OS and programs sounds like a good solution as the read
speeds with that should be adequate.

Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB would be my first choice. Best price / performance ratio. Reliable too.

Ditto on that - for price/performance the Samsung 840 Pro has been getting the best reviews & ratings.

Thanks a lot guys. I'm a bit disheartened by the Sandisk write speeds as I probably would have got an 840 Pro if I'd known in advance, but I guess it's good to save around £30 if I don't really need fast write speeds for incompressible data on the OS X drive. Need to make sure I move all my apps' cache folders to the new drive though, as a lot of them put them on the OS X drive by default.

One question, will enabling TRIM negatively affect the the Sandisk?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back