1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. Performa
  5. SE
  6. SE/30
I am trying to regain control over the speed of the fans. They are currently too noisy and temps are quite low. I did this before in Mojave with Clover/FakeSMC/HWMonitor. How do do this Big Sur with OpenCore and VirtualSMC? I am able to read the fan speed with HWMonitorSMC2, but there appears to be no way to control the speed with this app. Thanks!

I am trying to regain control over the speed of the fans. They are currently too noisy and temps are quite low. I did this before in Mojave with Clover/FakeSMC/HWMonitor. How do do this Big Sur with OpenCore and VirtualSMC? I am able to read the fan speed with HWMonitorSMC2, but there appears to be no way to control the speed with this app. Thanks!
Just continue using FakeSMC
Greetings Henties

You can set the fan speed curve on the UEFI (BIOS) settings of your Z77 motherboard.

You can set the fan speed curve on the UEFI (BIOS) settings of your Z77 motherboard.
My motherboard (Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H) only allows me to set the slope of the fan speed curve in manual mode. I have set the slope to minimum. I would like to completely turn off the case fans when the temps are low enough. I could do this with the Clover/FakeSMC/HWMonitor combination.

Just continue using FakeSMC
Greetings Henties
I replaced VirtualSMC and its associated kexts in OpenCore with FakeSMC and its kexts and updated the config.plist. I was able to boot into Big Sur. HWMonitor can read the temps, but I cannot control the fan speed (I can make changes, but they don't affect the speed). HWMonitor tries to install a helper application over and over again. I suspect this helper application is not getting installed and perhaps this is why the speed is not getting controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back