Contribute
Register

Fan Not Detected - Asus UX430UA Zenbook (MacOS High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank the heavens for cut and paste! :thumbup:

No expectation that any fan control program written for Macs will work on hacks anway.

Does that mean that there is no way for me to control the fans? They're always on! I would love to change the sensitivity to them but assume that they need to be detected before I can do that.

Does that mean that there is no way for me to control the fans? They're always on! I would love to change the sensitivity to them but assume that they need to be detected before I can do that.

BIOS provides for fan control based on thermal status.
There may be a way to control it... would require reverse engineering the controls and writing some code -- see ProBook project for an example.
But if your fans are running excessively, you might take a look at whether ACPI/CPU PM/etc are implemented correctly.

But if your fans are running excessively, you might take a look at whether ACPI/CPU PM/etc are implemented correctly.

It's not that really. When it was still running Windows, the fans came on even at 35C. I could use a fan control and set them not to come on until at least 60C so I didn't have a fan always running. It seems the BIOS for this laptop wants them on all the time. I can live with it, but it would be so much nicer if they only came on when they needed to. If I can get to where they are detected, I assume I can set a rule that they come on at a higher temp. tgpro.app has this function, but it doesn't see the fan.

It's not that really. When it was still running Windows, the fans came on even at 35C. I could use a fan control and set them not to come on until at least 60C so I didn't have a fan always running. It seems the BIOS for this laptop wants them on all the time. I can live with it, but it would be so much nicer if they only came on when they needed to. If I can get to where they are detected, I assume I can set a rule that they come on at a higher temp. tgpro.app has this function, but it doesn't see the fan.

If your laptop is supported by Notebook FanControl (https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc), it is possible to take the data (EC specifics) applicable to your laptop and use it for some custom fan control just like I did for the ProBook.

If your laptop is supported by Notebook FanControl (https://github.com/hirschmann/nbfc), it is possible to take the data (EC specifics) applicable to your laptop and use it for some custom fan control just like I did for the ProBook.

Ooooo, it is! Asus UX430UA

Can you point me towards yours so I can deconstruct. This is new territory for me, but I'm perfectly happy to give it a go with my hack-attack programming prowess.

Last edited:
Ooooo, it is! Asus UX430UA

Can you point me towards yours so I can deconstruct. This is new territory for me, but I'm perfectly happy to give it a go with my hack-attack programming prowess.

My probook repo is on my github. Linked by "Projects" in my signature.

Thanks. Unfortunately, this is over my head. Maybe someone with more skill will come along and give this a try someday and update this thread. If that day comes. Check out this thread and look here for files and here for the Asus UX430UA config file.

upload_2017-11-9_10-8-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-9_10-7-10.png
    upload_2017-11-9_10-7-10.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back