Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm working on putting a MacMini into a an old XServe G5 case that has had it's logic board removed. The Mac mini sits inside the Xserve case without making any mods to the Mini. The only problem is that without an external fan, the system gets too hot.

The case still has a row of 7 system fans that I want to connect at least one to a separate 12V source. The fan is FFB0412SHN and has four wires. It uses 12V and 0.6A. When I connect the red/black wires to a AC/DC converter that puts out 12V and 1.5A nothing happens. I've tried some different combinations of wires to the +/- of the adapter with no luck. From what I've seen online I should be able to connect this voltage and get the fan to spin even though the other cables aren't connected.

Are some fans more complicated and require the other wires to be connected to spin?

Thanks

mattk23 said:
I'm working on putting a MacMini into a an old XServe G5 case that has had it's logic board removed. The Mac mini sits inside the Xserve case without making any mods to the Mini. The only problem is that without an external fan, the system gets too hot.

The case still has a row of 7 system fans that I want to connect at least one to a separate 12V source. The fan is FFB0412SHN and has four wires. It uses 12V and 0.6A. When I connect the red/black wires to a AC/DC converter that puts out 12V and 1.5A nothing happens. I've tried some different combinations of wires to the +/- of the adapter with no luck. From what I've seen online I should be able to connect this voltage and get the fan to spin even though the other cables aren't connected.

Are some fans more complicated and require the other wires to be connected to spin?

Thanks

Apple used really complicated fan wiring often and colours all cables black. It doesn't surprise me that it is not straightforward. Just google "Powermac G5 fan wiring" and you should find some diagrams that may help you with your Xserve case. Maybe check out the G5 resource thread as I am sure there are some Apple fan wiring diagrams there. Here is a page worth looking at: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=1849&start=130 maybe they used similar baffling wiring in the Xserve....
Good luck with the rest of the mod and please do post pictures when you are done.

Or you can change the fans to some new 40mm fans that are also quieter?

Thanks
I have the same question - dos u resolve this at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back