Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
We thought it'd be fun and maybe money saving to build our own computer. As well as teach the basics of computers to a technically interested kid.

It'd be cool to have some feedback on things. Below is a first go at planning a "starter build". The idea is to start off with a minimum and expand things later on (spread the budget out over time therefore being able to have a bigger budget). So dedicated video card, additional cpu cooling and or noise reduction (we'd like a quiet pc), more storage space (will use external drives we currently have if storage space needed in near future) and ram upgrade if required would all be on the cards. Haven't selected a power supply yet though...:beachball:

So yeah the aim is to be fairly budget conscious - there isn't money to burn (will even get some of the parts as gifts with Christmas coming up) but on the other hand the main usage requirements are gaming (perhaps not so graphic intensive games as of yet -e.g. Minecraft, Growtopia, Cabals: Magic & Battle Cards, Football Manager), screen recording/streaming, video editing and I'm a heavy multitasker so there needs to be reasonable performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: BitFenix Neos White/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical Drive: Optiarc 5280S-CB-PLUS DVD/CD Writer (are there any compatible silver drives?!)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Missing from that starter build list, in addition to power supply and monitor, is a bluetooth adapter (iogear 4.0 i guess) to use a Logitech keyboard and Mighty Mouse that we already have. Also already have a Snow Leopard installation disk so hopefully that will be useful as trying to make usage of as many of the items we already have as possible. If it can be used to setup the system (I haven't looked into the installation properly yet) then am I right that upgrades to Mavericks will be available?

Anyway, any thoughts, advice and comments are welcome. Go easy, new to the forum and building computers :)

We thought it'd be fun and maybe money saving to build our own computer. As well as teach the basics of computers to a technically interested kid.

It'd be cool to have some feedback on things. Below is a first go at planning a "starter build". The idea is to start off with a minimum and expand things later on (spread the budget out over time therefore being able to have a bigger budget). So dedicated video card, additional cpu cooling and or noise reduction (we'd like a quiet pc), more storage space (will use external drives we currently have if storage space needed in near future) and ram upgrade if required would all be on the cards. Haven't selected a power supply yet though...:beachball:

So yeah the aim is to be fairly budget conscious - there isn't money to burn (will even get some of the parts as gifts with Christmas coming up) but on the other hand the main usage requirements are gaming (perhaps not so graphic intensive games as of yet -e.g. Minecraft, Growtopia, Cabals: Magic & Battle Cards, Football Manager), screen recording/streaming, video editing and I'm a heavy multitasker so there needs to be reasonable performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Case: BitFenix Neos White/Silver ATX Mid Tower Case
Optical Drive: Optiarc 5280S-CB-PLUS DVD/CD Writer (are there any compatible silver drives?!)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

This looks like a nice capable build that strikes a good balance between performance and price. I have a Samsung SH-224DB which is supplied with Silver and ivory front bezels. It was described as SH-224 retail. Its the quietest DVD drive that I have ever owned.

Missing from that starter build list, in addition to power supply and monitor, is a bluetooth adapter (iogear 4.0 i guess) to use a Logitech keyboard and Mighty Mouse that we already have.

The Corsair RM range are extremely quiet. The fan does not come on until approx 200 watts of power is being drawn from the PSU. There are completely passively cooled PSUs available from various manufactures if this is very important to you.

Also already have a Snow Leopard installation disk so hopefully that will be useful as trying to make usage of as many of the items we already have as possible. If it can be used to setup the system (I haven't looked into the installation properly yet) then am I right that upgrades to Mavericks will be available?

It must be a Retail version of Snow Leopard from Apple. The grey disks that came with Apple products were recovery disks and do not work on PC hardware - or even other Macs.

Anyway, any thoughts, advice and comments are welcome. Go easy, new to the forum and building computers :)

A lot of people are quite new. It can be a great family experience putting something like this together. :thumbup:

Thanks for the quick replies! And good there doesn't look to be glaring problems with anything :headbang:

I have a Samsung SH-224DB which is supplied with Silver and ivory front bezels. It was described as SH-224 retail. Its the quietest DVD drive that I have ever owned.
That looks great. Cheaper too ;) Were there any complications with setting it up?

The Corsair RM range are extremely quiet. The fan does not come on until approx 200 watts of power is being drawn from the PSU. There are completely passively cooled PSUs available from various manufactures if this is very important to you.

Will check those out. I'm guessing the passively cooled ones will be a lot more expensive? Otherwise is an appealing solution. We've got a bit fed up of noisy cheap laptop fans you see :D Starting to feel the cost maybe a bit too much once power supply and monitor added though...

Your build list looks fine. If you want to simplify the OS X installation, all you need is someone with an existing Mac and follow steps 1 & 2 here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/445-unibeast-install-os-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

The same process would work with Mavericks but why not just go to Yosemite if possible?

Edit - Forgot to add that I'm assuming you're copy of Snow Leopard is legit and legal.

I meant Yosemite, mixed up the names :)

Yep it's a retail disk. Remember buying it at a discount when I had a working Mac ages ago.

At quick glance http://tonymacx86.blogspot.fi/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html looks to be the way to go.

Thanks for the quick replies! And good there doesn't look to be glaring problems with anything :headbang:

That looks great. Cheaper too ;) Were there any complications with setting it up?

No problems - always install DVD drive on on of the last numbered Sata ports and use Sata 0 or 1 for main installation drive

Will check those out. I'm guessing the passively cooled ones will be a lot more expensive? Otherwise is an appealing solution. We've got a bit fed up of noisy cheap laptop fans you see :D Starting to feel the cost maybe a bit too much once power supply and monitor added though...

The completely passively cooled models are significantly more. The Corsair RM models are an excellent compromise.

I meant Yosemite, mixed up the names :)

Yep it's a retail disk. Remember buying it at a discount when I had a working Mac ages ago.

At quick glance http://tonymacx86.blogspot.fi/2010/04/iboot-multibeast-install-mac-os-x-on.html looks to be the way to go.

Don't use MultiBeast when on Snow Leopard. :thumbup:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/43-simplest-mac-os-x-installation-guide.html

Beelzebozo (one of the mods) has a video guide and has itemised the Snow Leopard section in his 9 series build:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...x-ud5h-16gb-ram-intel-hd-graphics-4600-a.html

Thanks for the tips.

Just a quick update on our progress. Ended up getting the K version of the processor and have ordered the silver samsung dvd. Went for the Corsair RM650 and that's installed now. Rest will be added as it arrives. So shouldn't be too long before it's time to try hackingtoshing ;). Fortunately found the retail disk for Snow Leopard.

Certain family members have already been getting involved and learning what goes together to make a computer so I'd say from that perspective it's been worth it already! :)

Update...

So far so good. Kind of half way through the process. The ram finally arrived today, computer powered on and managed to iboot the thing and install snow leopard. For some reason though the Ethernet connection isn't recognised and there was only modem connection and no internet connection available at setup.

Will have to investigate and sort that out so can get on with the next stage of downloading the latest version and multibeasting the thing!

hmm, feels like that's what I should do to get the Ethernet to work :headbang:
Now you have your parts, how about putting them into your profile and/or creating a sig? It is a PITA scrolling back to thru the posts to try to find hardware.

That said, if you got the board in your first post you might need to get a USB network adapter/USB WiFi to connect. Not sure if the Killer2200 network chip is supported in the iBoot Haswell for Snow Leopard.

You did use the iBoot Haswell, yes?

Added info to profile.

Yes iBoot Haswell.

We have an A-link gigabit Ethernet usb 2.0 adapter. Silly I didn't think to try that. Unfortunately only get self assigned IP and the connection doesn't work. Not sure why. Don't have any more time to try right now. Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers for reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back