Graphics
nVidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I had my hackintosh up and running perfectly except that HWMonitor was only displaying temperatures on my HDD's. I don't know why, but for some reason, this seemed important to reconcile.

I did some reading and everyone seemed to say that the way to fix the issue was to install FakeSMC Kext and Plugins via Multibeast. So I did. The computer booted fine. Let me type in my password fine. Then as soon as the login finished, it froze. This happened repeatedly. I tried booting in both safe mode and single user mode and both allow me to get farther, but any interaction with HWMonitor causes some issues. In single user mode, I was able to see the temperatures being tracked correctly for all of the separate devices. In safe mode, it caused an instant crash to click on the HWMonitor bar icon.

If there's a way to get rid of the new version of fakeSMC I installed, let me know how to go about doing that. Or, alternatively, if there is a way to fix fakeSMC and HWMonitor so it isn't freezing me out, please let me know that as well.

I'd prefer not to have to do a fresh install of ML and re-upgrade, but if I can't get it figured out by tonight, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It's a shame because I had everything working perfectly except for the temps. Hope someone has some advice.

Thanks.

So I had my hackintosh up and running perfectly except that HWMonitor was only displaying temperatures on my HDD's. I don't know why, but for some reason, this seemed important to reconcile.

I did some reading and everyone seemed to say that the way to fix the issue was to install FakeSMC Kext and Plugins via Multibeast. So I did. The computer booted fine. Let me type in my password fine. Then as soon as the login finished, it froze. This happened repeatedly. I tried booting in both safe mode and single user mode and both allow me to get farther, but any interaction with HWMonitor causes some issues. In single user mode, I was able to see the temperatures being tracked correctly for all of the separate devices. In safe mode, it caused an instant crash to click on the HWMonitor bar icon.

If there's a way to get rid of the new version of fakeSMC I installed, let me know how to go about doing that. Or, alternatively, if there is a way to fix fakeSMC and HWMonitor so it isn't freezing me out, please let me know that as well.

I'd prefer not to have to do a fresh install of ML and re-upgrade, but if I can't get it figured out by tonight, that's probably what I'll end up doing. It's a shame because I had everything working perfectly except for the temps. Hope someone has some advice.

Thanks.

I would wait on the plugins. There's some pretty big bugs having to do with multithread resource contention/race conditions at startup, especially if you have multiple plugins installed (the more CPU cores you have and the more plugins you have, the more likely you are to see problems). For now, I would remove them:

Get to a Terminal window any way you can and...

Code:
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext/Contents/PlugIns
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Will do. Thanks!

Unfortunately the terminal solution didn't fix the issue. However, I was able to get it deleted by deleting the FakeSMC.kext and then re-running Multibeast without any of hte plugins checked. Everything is working great once again. Thanks for the help guys!

Unfortunately the terminal solution didn't fix the issue. However, I was able to get it deleted by deleting the FakeSMC.kext and then re-running Multibeast without any of hte plugins checked. Everything is working great once again. Thanks for the help guys!

If you were running Terminal from your Unibeast USB "installer" remember that your HDD files are not mounted as root anymore. They will be in /Volumes/<label name of your HDD partition> instead. So my label is ML (I like to keep them short and without spaces), so it would be:

Code:
# also don't need sudo when running Terminal from USB stick, because you're in single user mode
rm -rf /Volumes/ML/System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC/Contents/PlugIns
touch /Volumes/ML/System/Library/Extensions

Glad you got it going.

Nah, I booted all the way into OS X with a safe boot and simply opened terminal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back